cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is apping for another BBR pushing the envelope, with 16/24 currently?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Is apping for another BBR pushing the envelope, with 16/24 currently?

So as I mentioned in another thread, I was approved today for the Unify FCU Variable-Rate card, and also was able to upgrade to the lowest-available go-to APR on the Unify Fixed-Rate card.  IIRC, this now puts me at 16/24.  My question is, if I were to hypothetically app for either 1-2 BBRs today -- i.e., gaining only new 2 inqs.; one for the new Unify card and one for the BBR(s)  -- would that be pushing the envelope, with my existing cc issuers to the point where they might want to take AA?  If I got 1 new BBR, I would then be at 17/24, and if approved for 2, that would then place me at 18/24, as far as I can best determine.  Best to play it safe, not app for a new BBR, and avoid any potential AA?  Or be bold, and app for a new BBR or 2 in the present? Or with 800-range FICOs  across all 3 CRAs, will the cc lenders not care so much about the total number of new accounts opened in the past 2 years, etc.?  Any thoughts/advice please?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Is apping for another BBR pushing the envelope, with 16/24 currently?

bump please? (If I am going to potentially app for a new BBR, I was ideally hoping to do so before 11:59 PM today, if anyone hopefully has any advice or feedback please?)

Message 2 of 22
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

I opened many more than you in the past 2 years and no AA. Closed all store cards and closed or combined a few of the MC/VISAs in the past few months, but all is ok.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 3 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi Galahad!. Im by no means an expert at this credit thing , Lol, as i seem to 2 steps forward ,three back lately , but in my humble opinion, if you are already at 16/24, and have over 800 scores i think its safe to say you you have already pushed the envelope so 1 or 2 more apps shouldnt be the ones to break the egg, though as usual YMMV. Im sure if all the big boys and girls with hundreds of thousands in credit can get away with mylti cards apps snd inquiires and survive to live to tell, your solud stats should back you up. And heck, if snything does go south on ya, just book a cruise with your new low apr card and jet set to the garden lol. If you really want them go gor it now and complete your 2 year spree with a bangSmiley Happy Congrats on your new spprovals by the waySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 22
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Many thanks for the helpful feedback and also for the kind compliments Joe; I deeply appreciate all of your valuable input!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 22
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

So as I mentioned in another thread, I was approved today for the Unify FCU Variable-Rate card, and also was able to upgrade to the lowest-available go-to APR on the Unify Fixed-Rate card.  IIRC, this now puts me at 16/24.  My question is, if I were to hypothetically app for either 1-2 BBRs today -- i.e., gaining only new 2 inqs.; one for the new Unify card and one for the BBR(s)  -- would that be pushing the envelope, with my existing cc issuers to the point where they might want to take AA?  If I got 1 new BBR, I would then be at 17/24, and if approved for 2, that would then place me at 18/24, as far as I can best determine.  Best to play it safe, not app for a new BBR, and avoid any potential AA?  Or be bold, and app for a new BBR or 2 in the present? Or with 800-range FICOs  across all 3 CRAs, will the cc lenders not care so much about the total number of new accounts opened in the past 2 years, etc.?  Any thoughts/advice please?

What's your overall exposure with BoA? When was your last application with them?

AA is so overated! The most they do is not to approve further cards. As long as you pay bill on time and not closing cards immediately after you earned bonus, I think you will be fine. 

My thought is that if you really want the card, just apply for it. I will not apply for BBR because it only gives me sub 100 cash per card per year? I could app and get higher bonuses from their other cards like Merill+, Alaska, or Amtrak. I typically will not app for cards unless their value is at or above $500 per card from the sign up or spend bonus.

Try applying for one BBR if you want and if approved, apply for another one. There's some recent data points that they prevent same card type application within the same day - ending up rejecting the second one. http://www.orensmoneysaver.com/2014/12/bank-of-america-no-longer-allowing.html

You could always try though!

The "ideal" situation is to apply for BoA cards during the business day/hour so that you can call credit analyst right away if not approved. Otherwise, when you call for reconsideration on a later date, another pull might be done. 

Message 6 of 22
newhis
Valued Contributor

There are people with more than 16/24 in this forum with scores 100 less than yours.

I only have 9 and I don't think I want another, but that's just me. I believe, with your scores, AA actions will happen only if you do something else with your credit besides getting new cards, like high util in general, max a card (even with BT), or other out-of-the-ordinary activity. Good luck whatever you decide.

Message 7 of 22
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Very good data points and info to know, thank you Berzman!

Message 8 of 22
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

What's your overall exposure with BoA? When was your last application with them?

AA is so overated! The most they do is not to approve further cards. As long as you pay bill on time and not closing cards immediately after you earned bonus, I think you will be fine. 

My thought is that if you really want the card, just apply for it. I will not apply for BBR because it only gives me sub 100 cash per card per year? I could app and get higher bonuses from their other cards like Merill+, Alaska, or Amtrak. I typically will not app for cards unless their value is at or above $500 per card from the sign up or spend bonus.

Try applying for one BBR if you want and if approved, apply for another one. There's some recent data points that they prevent same card type application within the same day - ending up rejecting the second one. http://www.orensmoneysaver.com/2014/12/bank-of-america-no-longer-allowing.html

The "ideal" situation is to apply for BoA cards during the business day/hour so that you can call credit analyst right away if not approved. Otherwise, when you call for reconsideration on a later date, another pull might be done. 

Thanks!  To answer your questions, I have 3 BoA cards, very little util on them compared to their combined CLs, about maybe ~$30k total CL or something like that I believe?  My last app wit them was about a year ago IIRC?

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Thanks!  To answer your questions, I have 3 BoA cards, very little util on them compared to their combined CLs, about maybe ~$30k total CL or something like that I believe?  My last app wit them was about a year ago IIRC?

Ummm first of all congrats on all your scores surpassing 800!!! When did that happen?!  That is awesome.  Go for it!  Do you have any cards on the chopping block?  How about that GM card???

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.