cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is asking for a credit limit increase at BoA a good idea for me?

tag
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: Is asking for a credit limit increase at BoA a good idea for me?

@Creditaddict wrote:

@corsascuderia wrote:

I took your guys' advice and went ahead and applied for a CLI to $10,000. I didn't get it immediatately since I have a fraud alert, but I called the backdoor number and once I confirmed my identity, they went ahead and bumped it to $2500, which I'm not thrilled with, but I guess it's better than $600. The woman on the phone informed me that since I didn't have any other tradelines or mortgages, $2500 was the best she could do. 

that says to me: GO APPLY FOR AT LEAST 2 MORE CREDIT CARDS!

Id pick an Amex Credit card since you have the PRG and perhaps Chase Freedom or Discover it depending what rewards might be useful.

Agree.  If they are doing comparisons you need something to give them a compelling reason to bump you higher.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 11 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Exactly which Amex card do you have? is it a credit card or a charge card?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

think op said PRG (charge)

Message 13 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I'd really like to know what your FICO scores look like now, and exactly what HP you took on which reports (since you may have been double or triple pulled).

Nevertheless, you have a year of history with one of your cards, so a Small App spree is warranted. I would suggest Sallie Mae Rewards, and Discover IT. Then if you want to try for a third card just for credit limit, probably the American Express Blue Cash Everyday (even though the Sallie Mae beats it in cash back rewards). Since you have an Amex card, its a SP to decide if you get the next card, and then if you get it they HP you.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Don't expect huge credit limits. You gotta walk before you run.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 14 of 19
Johnnyblaze1986
Valued Member

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I'd really like to know what your FICO scores look like now, and exactly what HP you took on which reports (since you may have been double or triple pulled).

Nevertheless, you have a year of history with one of your cards, so a Small App spree is warranted. I would suggest Sallie Mae Rewards, and Discover IT. Then if you want to try for a third card just for credit limit, probably the American Express Blue Cash Everyday (even though the Sallie Mae beats it in cash back rewards). Since you have an Amex card, its a SP to decide if you get the next card, and then if you get it they HP you.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Don't expect huge credit limits. You gotta walk before you run.

SALLIE MAEEEEEEE! I swear I don't think that card gets the promotion it deserves! I love my Sallie

Current Score: EX: 802 TU: 793 EQ: 790 / Last App: 04/11/2014 / In the garden until I find a house I like.

Citi Dividend $14,000Amex Blue Cash Preferred $14,000Chase Ink Cash $12,500Sallie Mae $12,500BOA Business Cash Back Rewards $10,000Chase Sapphire Preferred $8,500 Capital One Quicksilver $1,000     
Message 15 of 19
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Johnnyblaze1986 wrote:

SALLIE MAEEEEEEE! I swear I don't think that card gets the promotion it deserves! I love my Sallie

Shhhhhh!

I worry a bit about SM getting nerfed if it gets too popular.

I just want to be able to get a second one in a year or soSmiley Happy

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 16 of 19
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@corsascuderia wrote:

I took your guys' advice and went ahead and applied for a CLI to $10,000. I didn't get it immediatately since I have a fraud alert, but I called the backdoor number and once I confirmed my identity, they went ahead and bumped it to $2500, which I'm not thrilled with, but I guess it's better than $600. The woman on the phone informed me that since I didn't have any other tradelines or mortgages, $2500 was the best she could do. 

Congrats on your CLI Smiley Happy WTG

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 17 of 19
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

Congrats, you are walking in the right direction I think Smiley Happy

just wondering, any idea why you were approved for the $600 card, with no credit history I would only expect secured cards to be approved.

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this reply is months and months later, but I wanted to thank you all. I have a similar profile to OP (though with longer credit history and more CL in Chase). I just applied for a CLI on an old BoA card I don't really use anymore (just to improve my utilization), and was instantly approved from $1,200 to $3,300. I called the backline and was able to get my Chase CL matched.

Additonal info to know: When I called, they didn't repull my score -- just used what was pulled to get the orignal bump.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.