Reply
Senior Contributor
MattH
Posts: 3,240
Registered: ‎04-03-2008
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

Some years ago, I read a piece by the editor of a bicycling magazine who as a matter of principle refused to present his driver's license except for purposes required by law or otherwise directly related to the operation of a motor vehicle. I gather this led to some interesting discussions with various clerks...
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Valued Contributor
debtisgood
Posts: 1,126
Registered: ‎03-25-2008
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

I agree with you. I've never even seen such a thing in a bar, or a restaurant for that matter. I think my stance is more for items that only cost $1-2, not even so much the $5 lunch that was brought up before. They are still making some money on a $4 sale, but when someone uses a card for a cheaper item they can potentially LOSE $. So, in that case, I can see where they are coming from even though they are in violation of their merchant account agreements. I'm just saying I see both sides and I see how they lose money on the small sales and for a struggling business, those charges could be the make or break point when it comes to whether they stay in business.

I totally agree. I definitely carry a small amount of cash in case I am buying something under 5 dollars in value, especially at the mom and pop stores. I never knew they had to pay extra to punch in the number by hand though.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement



debtisgood wrote:
I agree with you. I've never even seen such a thing in a bar, or a restaurant for that matter. I think my stance is more for items that only cost $1-2, not even so much the $5 lunch that was brought up before. They are still making some money on a $4 sale, but when someone uses a card for a cheaper item they can potentially LOSE $. So, in that case, I can see where they are coming from even though they are in violation of their merchant account agreements. I'm just saying I see both sides and I see how they lose money on the small sales and for a struggling business, those charges could be the make or break point when it comes to whether they stay in business.

I totally agree. I definitely carry a small amount of cash in case I am buying something under 5 dollars in value, especially at the mom and pop stores. I never knew they had to pay extra to punch in the number by hand though.



I guess I'm just the heartless one in the bunch, LOL.  I want my miles/points/cashback!  Even if it's only one or two of them. :smileywink:
 
I only use cash if I have no other choice, like at the newsstand outside my office, for example.
 
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Contributor
Watchmann
Posts: 985
Registered: ‎05-14-2008

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

[ Edited ]
I'm for a balance of privacy and protection.  How many merchants even check the signature on the card with the sales slip?  Very small in my experience.  I don't mind letting the clerk VISUALLY glance at my license.  He/she is not likely going to remember my address or DL number, why should they?  What are they going to do, come over and break into my house?  A bit too much paranoia on this board, imo.  But to each their own.
 
If I'm buying a $500 item should I expect the store to just blindly accept my card without some minimum verification of who I am?  How about a $5,000 item, a $10,000 item?  We live in a world with increasing fraud and theft, I think honest people have a part to play in keeping crooked use down.  Let's not all unload it on the merchants and banks.
 
I don't even sign the back of my cards, I print CHECK ID with a Sharpie in the signature box.  I'm always open to a visual glance at my bona fides.  Sorry, I just don't see the big deal.
 
While everyone is standing on principle in the thought of avoiding inconvenience and privacy intrusion, or theft of ID, I would strongly suggest you rethink the ever increasing practice of swiping and punching in PIN numbers with a DEBIT card.  This is far more dangerous and potentially damaging dollar wise than  what you could lose with a credit card ($0).  If someone has a tap on the card reader you can find your checking account cleared out with little recourse from the bank.  That is why I use cash for all day to day transactions like going out to lunch, small purchases, etc.  Debit cards are potentially toxic and an unlimited open door on your finances. 
 
 


Message Edited by Watchmann on 06-25-2008 06:27 PM
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement



Watchmann wrote:
 
I don't even sign the back of my cards, I print CHECK ID with a Sharpie in the signature box.  I'm always open to a visual glance at my bona fides.  Sorry, I just don't see the big deal.
 

I know a lot of people do this, and I'm sure you've never had a problem using your cards with "CHECK ID" on the back, but technically a card is not valid unless it is signed.  Any card with "CHECK ID" on the back has, again only technically, been invalidated.
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Regular Contributor
akhan
Posts: 164
Registered: ‎10-28-2007
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement



cheddar wrote:







Watchmann wrote:


 

I don't even sign the back of my cards, I print CHECK ID with a Sharpie in the signature box.  I'm always open to a visual glance at my bona fides.  Sorry, I just don't see the big deal.

 




I know a lot of people do this, and I'm sure you've never had a problem using your cards with "CHECK ID" on the back, but technically a card is not valid unless it is signed.  Any card with "CHECK ID" on the back has, again only technically, been invalidated.






I have 2 friends who's mom works for BOA and told them to write SEE ID on the back of their cards as well, so it seems that the "invalidating" advice is also coming from bank employees. The funny thing is to watch them get frustrated when no one asks for their ID after reading the SEE ID statement in the signature strip.

Also, I don't think many clerks even looked at the signatures on receipts, ESPECIALLY on the electronic signature pads. I always sign my name as STOLEN CARD to see if anyone will notice. I've been doing this for about a year and no one has ever said a word.

Watchmann- out of curiosity, if you are worried about debit card theft, why not pay for your lunch with a credit card (for the benefits mentioned: float, points, safety) instead of cash?
Established Contributor
Watchmann
Posts: 985
Registered: ‎05-14-2008
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

[ Edited ]
out of curiosity, if you are worried about debit card theft, why not pay for your lunch with a credit card (for the benefits mentioned: float, points, safety) instead of cash?
 
Because I find I am more cognizant and less willing to buy something if I'm paying in hard cash.  Buying on credit makes it just too easy to say 'charge it' to things you don't really want or need.  Studies have borne this phenomenon out.  I don't need the float on a few hundred dollars,  do not chase points at all costs like some people, and the maximum I'll have in cash is $300 which will last me 10-15 days on average so I'm not concerned about safety.  The wristwatch I wear is far more more valuable than the little cash the crooks would get.  Everybody is different, but I believe debit/credit card use for day to day expenses is one of the factors why people end up in debt, and then they don't know where all the money went.  Everybody has their own system, this works for my wife and me.


Message Edited by Watchmann on 06-25-2008 07:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar
Posts: 6,794
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement



akhan wrote:


I have 2 friends who's mom works for BOA and told them to write SEE ID on the back of their cards as well, so it seems that the "invalidating" advice is also coming from bank employees.

Yes, I am not the least bit surprised that bank employees sometimes (usually?) have no idea what they are talking about. :smileyhappy:

 
----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Contributor
davidboca
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

Optionally, one could also present a Passport for ID. My wife frequently carries her passport and it does not have any address information in it.
I'm sure this option is an exception, as most of us do not carry a passport except when traveling.
Frequent Contributor
treschic
Posts: 324
Registered: ‎11-18-2007

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

i only recently became aware of these policies as well.  i previouslly had a boa card with my picture on the front, and when i went to purchase something at best buy, i was told they needed my picture id, itold the clerk,my picture is on the card, she proceeded tocall the manager to determine if she could accept my picture on the card, i was thinking that's the whole point of the picture, its not there for decoration.  one time i forgot my license at home, was refused sell of something because i didn't have my id, this was a while ago, but it pissed me off so much that to this day, i'm paranoid about forgetting my license at home. and lastly, i never understood this, if somebody has stolen your credit card and is so bold to use it at stores, if they were a smart thief, they could just get a fake dl. its not like they check the authenticity of it anyways, they glance at it or sometimes just look to see if you have one.  so, even though its just an "extra layer of security", i would think thieves can very easily get around that as well. or even if they stole your wallet, they can just use your dl, like i said, most merchants dont even look at the dl. but, thats just my opinion on the situation.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}