Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is charging to limit a bad thing?

tag
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Is charging to limit a bad thing?

I have a Orchard card with a $300 limit and a Capital One card with a $200 limit. Every month I pay the Cap 1 card to a zero balance and Orchard to a $20 balance before the statement closes. My question is by maxing my cards out monthly even though I pay them down is that hurting my fico?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Is charging to limit a bad thing?

shouldn't effect your fico score, but your creditors may not like it, and you can get burned if they have an fee for going over the limit. If you ever let it report it will effect your high balance field that may effect you.  May want to app for another card possibly GE backed card they may take a chance they are quite good at giving CLI's every 4 months and the walmart card comes with monthly TU08 scores if you go paperless statements. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 5
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I'll look into a GE card

Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:

I have a Orchard card with a $300 limit and a Capital One card with a $200 limit. Every month I pay the Cap 1 card to a zero balance and Orchard to a $20 balance before the statement closes. My question is by maxing my cards out monthly even though I pay them down is that hurting my fico?

No, and it will likely be viewed as a positive both by your current lenders (ok, maybe not C1) but certainly others when it comes to manual review.

Lenders like people who are using their cards, that's unarguable, and you've already established the pattern.  You'll be fine.

        
Message 4 of 5
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

EX and TU reports your highest balance (ever) on your credit report, not sure if EQ does it

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.