cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is first national bank of Omaha any decent ?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

They keep sending prequals on snail mail ! I'm gardening for now but for future reference ! 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Is first national bank of Omaha any decent ?!

If i recall they are stingy
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skye12329 wrote:

Not nescessarily. But they are VERY new account sensitive. Definitely not a bank to toy with if you like to get the latest signup bonuses often.

Message 3 of 27
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

FNBO is a good one to get in with. As mentioned they tend to be conservative with new accts. But once in you get free EX Fico and they're good for SP CLI every 4-6 months. They just bumped me from 5700 to 10700 on Laquinta card. I applied for the ANA (I know lousy bonus) but I'm not holding my breath. They're a very heavy EX puller. If you're lucky they pull EQ.
Message 4 of 27
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They keep sending prequals on snail mail ! I'm gardening for now but for future reference ! 

I got in with them with the Savingstar Amex. They almost always manually review apps which makes some people nervous. But the fact you're getting preapprovals is a good sign.

They do offer free EX FICO, which is the main attraction people have with FNBO. I think it's the Bank scale though which goes up to 900 instead of the standard 850. But still pretty handy. Smiley Happy

Ultimately, YMMV. I've been known to hunt for sign up bonuses myself but when I app'd for the Savingstar Amex, FNBO instantly approved me (no manual review at all)!  I was kinda shocked and actually got a very decent starting limit IMO.

And once you're in with them, I've heard they're pretty good with CLI's. I've only had mine for one statement cut so far, but we'll see how well they grow with me in the future. 

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The many comments of the posters are spot on. Note however, FNBO generally start most card product aprs at 15.9% and rewards are 1:1 ratio. Many better cards exist in the market place (assuming rewards is important). FNBO customer service is run out of Omaha NE and Yankton SD with a human touch and no communication challenges. The First National Bank of Omaha is top rated by the FDIC and is the largest privately owned bank in the United States. That said, look closely at card benefits before signing up. I have two cards and find FNBO to be great as a credit provider with good balance transfers opportunities.

Message 6 of 27
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

The free EX FICO is any decent! 

Message 7 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Define "decent".  What are you specifcally looking for?  Don't just rely on and respond to prequals.  Always determine your needs/wants and then find cards that suit you.

@Skye12329 wrote:

FNBO granted what I'd consider a decent limit.  Not my highest and not my lowest.  My iniitial limits with Discover, US Bank and Barclay were 1/3rd of my initial limit with FNBO.  At 6 months I received an auto CLI that was about 20% of my initial limit.

YMMV of course, depending on your credit.

@mikelo22 wrote:

They do offer free EX FICO, which is the main attraction people have with FNBO. I think it's the Bank scale though which goes up to 900 instead of the standard 850.

It is an EX FICO 8 Bankcard (indicated on the page with the score).

Message 8 of 27
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

I got a preapproval letter for the Platinum with 3.25% APR with $89 AF.  Got a $14K CL.  I had a loan that I was paying 11.5% APR, that took credit card payments, so paid that off with FNBO and saving quite a bit on interest.  Have had the account for over 6 months now with no issues.  I opened this account with a bunch of other new accounts at that time, so not expecting an auto CLI too soon, so can't comment on that aspect.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 9 of 27
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I applied for the New York Life card, hoping to get the Signature version which provides 1.5% cash back. They pulled EQ and denied me for too many inquiries. I had 5 inquiries spread pretty evenly across the past year.

They then sent 1 offer via US Mail for the Secured version of that card. I ignored it. They never offered again.

A few months later, one inquiry was over a year old, but of course I had an additional inquiry from the previous FNBO application. So my inquiries in the past year were still 5. This time I applied for the SavingStar.com card, and after 3-4 business days I was approved for $9,800 

Now they mail me repeated offers for their FNBO American Express. It only gives 1% cash back, and since the SavingStar is also using the American Express network, I see no advantage to obtaining a second FNBO Amex. 

I'm looking forward to testing out the "call after 4-6 months and ask if there is a CLI offer available without a HP" plan, that seems to work so well for other people...

PS: I just got my second statement. I spend $411 the first month and $349 the second month. So i'll keep using it like that and see if I can get a good CLI after the 4th statement.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.