cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is getting approval for a credit card mainly based on your credit score or how much debt you have?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is getting approval for a credit card mainly based on your credit score or how much debt you have?

Hello,

So, here is the deal. My husband is an authorized user on some of my accounts. He has about 30,000 in debt in his own name spread out on four cards. His credit

score is currently 707/689/684. He has been at his current job for over six years and we also have a mortgage in our name. He's had credit in his name for over 15 years.

Would he have a problem getting approved for a new card? We are some what in a bad position currently and need some additional credit.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Is getting approval for a credit card mainly based on your credit score or how much debt you hav

Hi, outriggal!  Welcome to the forum.

You don't say how much of his available credit has been used.  If he's maxed out his cards, he may have some difficulty in getting another card.  The banks these days are very sensitive to high utilization of credit.  And the AMEX credit limit decrease you recently got hit with (I saw your other thread) just makes it worse.

If you'd like to get into more details, please post them.  There's quite a few people here who can offer advice on what steps you can take to relieve some of the financial pressure you're going through right now.

You're not alone in this.

Let us know, OK?  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is getting approval for a credit card mainly based on your credit score or how much debt you hav

Thanks for dropping me a line. My husband is at about 90% utilization. Are there any cards that are easier to get? I am waiting for a  lawsuit to settle and will

be able to pay all this off as soon as I get the money. Just need some help to tide us over.

Message 3 of 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

i am most definitely NOT an expert, but i would guess that with 90% utilization of $30,000 of credit, he is probably going to have a hard time finding offers of additional credit.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.