Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it because of my low line of credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it because of my low line of credit?

I closed all my credit cards a few years ago and only kept one Discover. My line of credit is only $1200, and it's been like 10 years. I only use my discover card on gas and parking at the airport or car rental, so it was OK with me. Most of the time I use my debit cards.

I set up auto-pay with discover, so my util rate varies from 30% to 80% sometimes even though I pay the full statement balance. My EQ score is 680 (it has been around this score for three years so I stopped the monitoring service lately) 

I had been declined for CL increase recently even though I have been paying on time every time for 4 years, and begin to think it's time to get another card, but I'm worried because I just got declined that CL increase by discover. Any advice? Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is it because of my low line of credit?

I'd pay off the balance two days before your next statement date (statement date, NOT due date) and let it report $0.

Wait 7 days or so and let all three bureaus post the new balance.

Then go shopping.

With your EQ score, I'd check out credit unions, which commonly (certainly not always) pull EQ. btw, your score will probably rise once you let a $0 balance post.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.