cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to carry a small balance on a card or have no balance at all?

tag
zipper97

Is it better to carry a small balance on a card or have no balance at all?

I have two Capital One credit cards.  One is paid off, the other will be in a few days.  Both have automatically recurring charges added to them monthly, but will be less than $200 per month total.  

Do I keep paying these off every month or do I let them carry a small balance from month to month, still making payments on them but never paying them off?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is it better to carry a small balance on a card or have no balance at all?

@zipper97 wrote:

I have two Capital One credit cards.  One is paid off, the other will be in a few days.  Both have automatically recurring charges added to them monthly, but will be less than $200 per month total.  

Do I keep paying these off every month or do I let them carry a small balance from month to month, still making payments on them but never paying them off?

Simply report a small balance on one of the two cards if we're talking optimal FICO scoring tactics.  You have a grace period, you still won't pay interest if you PIF after the statement date.

        
Message 2 of 3
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: Is it better to carry a small balance on a card or have no balance at all?

@Revelate wrote:

@zipper97 wrote:

Simply report a small balance on one of the two cards if we're talking optimal FICO scoring tactics.  You have a grace period, you still won't pay interest if you PIF after the statement date.

+1

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.