cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it hard to get approved for an AMEX gold rewards (premier)?

tag
Butter41
Established Member

Is it hard to get approved for an AMEX gold rewards (premier)?

I have had an AMEX zync, with no preset limit for about 9 months. Never late, never missed a payment. I was an authorized user on a AMEX gold card from 2005, but AMEX closed the account for no reason. It was a horrible experience then with AMEX, but I decided to try again. When I was approved for the Zync, I was shocked. Apparently, there is no bad credit from AMEX from the Gold card. I have my Zync backdated to 2005.

With the Zync being closed and receiving a letter saying that they may close the Zync account in the future, I would like to go back to a AMEX gold premier.

I have been laid off from a 60K a year job and will soon be starting a new job at about 25K a year, in a completely different field.

My fico scores are TU 652, Equifax 662

1.) Is there a difference in getting approved for the Gold vs. the Gold premier card?

2.) Will my income and length of time at a new job be determining factors?

3.) If I get approved for another AMEX card, should I close the Zync? (it seems to be inevitable that AMEX will be closing all Zync accounts.)

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: Is it hard to get approved for an AMEX gold rewards (premier)?

@Butter41 wrote:

I have had an AMEX zync, with no preset limit for about 9 months. Never late, never missed a payment. I was an authorized user on a AMEX gold card from 2005, but AMEX closed the account for no reason. It was a horrible experience then with AMEX, but I decided to try again. When I was approved for the Zync, I was shocked. Apparently, there is no bad credit from AMEX from the Gold card. I have my Zync backdated to 2005.

With the Zync being closed and receiving a letter saying that they may close the Zync account in the future, I would like to go back to a AMEX gold premier.

I have been laid off from a 60K a year job and will soon be starting a new job at about 25K a year, in a completely different field.

1.) Is there a difference in getting approved for the Gold vs. the Gold premier card?

3.) If I get approved for another AMEX card, should I close the Zync? (it seems to be inevitable that AMEX will be closing all Zync accounts.)

Hi and welcome! Smiley Tongue

There's ALWAYS a reason...

Nope, no difference in UW for Gold  vs PRG. The lower income (length shouldn't matter, not a mortgage) however, may be an issue. I'd close the Zync once I had either Gold.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 15
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Butter41 wrote:

Do not apply for a card until you are hired because technically you are not employed and dont have an income. Wait til your hired because you dont want to triger an FR and cannot show proof of any sort. 

But Green, Gold & PRG have the same UW. Do you have any baddies? What is causing your scores to be a this range?

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 15
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@Butter41 wrote:

Do not apply for a card until you are hired because technically you are not employed and dont have an income. Wait til your hired because you dont want to triger an FR and cannot show proof of any sort. 

But Green, Gold & PRG have the same UW. Do you have any baddies? What is causing your scores to be a this range?

But being early 2013, the 4506 would pull 2012, right?  I see the technicality, and I agree with your advice, but wouldn't any FR show the previous (2012) employment income?

Message 4 of 15
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@Butter41 wrote:

But being early 2013, the 4506 would pull 2012, right?  I see the technicality, and I agree with your advice, but wouldn't any FR show the previous (2012) employment income?

Yeah sorry I dont have any experience in FR's and what documents they would require. But I was stating worst case senario. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 15
Butter41
Established Member

No baddies in the last 4 years. Only 2 inquiries on both reports.

Had lots of 30, 60 and 90 day lates on my student loans over 4 years ago that are still showing. I've done goodwill letters and many disputes, but they won't come off. They were supposed to be in deferment, but it took weeks to get everything put through. I was told that they won't show as bad credit once the deferment was put through. But, it didn't turn out that way.

I was turned down for a Chase Sapphire last year and they said too many negatives on my credit. They must be talking about the student loans, because I haven't been late in 4 years.

Message 6 of 15
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@Butter41 wrote:

Yeah sorry I dont have any experience in FR's and what documents they would require. But I was stating worst case senario. 

Me either!  And that's good for both of usSmiley Happy  If you read around here enough you'd be lead to think we'd be in the minority.

OP, I don't believe there to be any stricter requirement for PRG than Green, and being that it's been argued here that the FICO floor for Green is 640 it's hard to think an applicant with a 640 wouldn't have some derogs on their report.  IMO, your Zync relationship was the "foot in the door" so depending on how old your Zync was it's possible they've already looked beyong the baddies.  In my case they overlooked some CO's to approve BCE.  YMMV and you won't know unless you app.  I'm just pre-heated enough to drapp myselfSmiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 15
Bobert22
Contributor

It's going to be a soft inquiry anyways, so I would just go ahead and give it shot. 

The only thing you might have an issue with is the change of income, if they decide to do a financial review (which has never happened to me or anyone I know. )

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 8 of 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Bobert22 wrote:

It's going to be a soft inquiry anyways, so I would just go ahead and give it shot. 

The only thing you might have an issue with is the change of income, if they decide to do a financial review (which has never happened to me or anyone I know. )

can anyone confirm this? 

i know if your a current member this rings true, but what about if your a previous member and have no current amex accounts open?

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@Bobert22 wrote:

can anyone confirm this? 

i know if your a current member this rings true, but what about if your a previous member and have no current amex accounts open?

If the OP's Zync is still open, shouldn't this be a SP if declined?  That has been my understanding from previous posts here.  HP if approved/SP for deciline with an open TL with AMEX. 

Personally, I would not close the Zync at all.  The AF is minimal, it's rare now, and yeah there's no bennies to speak of, but I would still keep it open until such time that AMEX decides the fate of the Zync. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.