Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it illegal for credit card co. to delete late payments from an account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it illegal for credit card co. to delete late payments from an account

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board and have truly enjoyed reading the wonderful advise that people contribute.  I was just on the credit card board and someone said that they attempted to send a GW letter to an OC.  Apparently, the OC replied back saying that deleting lates pays or deliquents from their account is illegal and they're just reporting what's true and accurate.

Is that true about deleting late pays from someone's accounts???  I
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is it illegal for credit card co. to delete late payments from an account

no they just tell you it is.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Creditaddict,

Thanks for the reply.  So I guess it's best to be persistant with the GW letters until someone gets sick of hearing from you?  LOL

Cocosmom
Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The law says that it is illegal to report inaccurate information. The law does NOT say that it is illegal to not report accurate information. (There's a difference.)

Many CSR's believe it's illegal; the higher-ups know it's not. I think it's a violation of their agreements with the CRA's, though, so they don't exactly hand them out like trick-or-treat candy. Deciding to GW (or PFD) is a business decision.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.