cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me or am I getting shafted out of 1%?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Is it just me or am I getting shafted out of 1%?

Edit: Okay, that makes sense now, thanks for helping me out guys.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it just me or am I getting shafted out of 1%?

That statement reads 2% on groceries and 3% on gas to me.

Message 2 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

maybe the card only recognizes certain stations.  I wonder if it would look different if you filled up at a Shell station (or any other top-tier gas station)?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 8
oracles
Valued Contributor

Are you sure its not breaking it down meaning the 3% is comprised of 1% + 2% bonus if you spend on gas.

Look somewhere on your bill to see if you are getting 1% for that purchase and the other 2% bonus is what you see in front of you.

I hope i made myself clear, i just got home from work and i am so so tired lol

Message 4 of 8
stefanc
Regular Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

So I have the BoA 123 Cash Rewards card. I took a closer look at my rewards history, and it turns out I'm getting 2% rewards on gas purchases instead of 3%.

Take this transaction for example.

$60 in gas should get me $1.80 in rewards, not $1.20. Am I missing something, or has BoA been giving me 1% less than I should get for gas purchases? Considering my car gets 9 MPG, that's quite a bit of money I'm missing out on.

(Okay, maybe not that much, but when you spend $350 a month on gas, it adds up)

I think that is the "bonus" 2% - over and above - the 1% you earn for just using the card - that gives you the 3%. (If it was groceries it would show "Bonus" earned 60 cents).

Message 5 of 8
NewSurrender
Contributor

Oracles and Stefan, you guys are right, thank you.

Disregard this topic, I'm an idiot. That makes sense now. Interestingly enough, BoA classifies Walmart as a grocery store. I don't think Amex and Discover do, right?

Message 6 of 8
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

where did you find that info i cant seem to find it?

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 7 of 8
oracles
Valued Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

Disregard this topic, I'm an idiot. That makes sense now. Interestingly enough, BoA classifies Walmart as a grocery store. I don't think Amex and Discover do, right?

@NewSurrender wrote:

No problem, i'm just glad you understood me lol

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.