cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me or is Citi Double cash not that great? Only get $2 if you spend $100??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it just me or is Citi Double cash not that great? Only get $2 if you spend $100??

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right.  And even among the "high spenders" there can be many different choices about where spend goes: some want to eat out, others want the nicest car, clothes etc).   People can get fulfilment without spending a lot on entertainment, I hear some people even spend time at home posting on credit card forums (can you believe it).

Smiley LOLGood one LTL!

Message 61 of 88
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it just me or is Citi Double cash not that great? Only get $2 if you spend $100??

@Anonymous wrote:

I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet (that I can see), but another card that might pique your interest (given your very low levels of spending) is BOA's Better Balance Rewards card. It gives you $25/quarter just by charging a monthly cup of coffee (or in your case, a monthly Netflix subscription) once per statement and making your payment on time. It's not an extremely exciting amount of money, no, but in terms of cashback percentage-wise, it is a better value for you than the Double Cash. 

Of all the great suggestions on here, I think for the OP this might be the best one.  Smiley Wink

For annual spending of under $5k, this is the best deal around (that I've found) for general spend.  Over $5k and a 2% card would earn more, but for annual spend under $5k the BBR is the clear winner.  (Note that this is for general spend, and doesn't take the various category cards into account.)

Message 62 of 88
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet (that I can see), but another card that might pique your interest (given your very low levels of spending) is BOA's Better Balance Rewards card. It gives you $25/quarter just by charging a monthly cup of coffee (or in your case, a monthly Netflix subscription) once per statement and making your payment on time. It's not an extremely exciting amount of money, no, but in terms of cashback percentage-wise, it is a better value for you than the Double Cash. 

Of all the great suggestions on here, I think for the OP this might be the best one.  Smiley Wink

For annual spending of under $5k, this is the best deal around (that I've found) for general spend.  Over $5k and a 2% card would earn more, but for annual spend under $5k the BBR is the clear winner.  (Note that this is for general spend, and doesn't take the various category cards into account.)

UncleB, I can not tell you how strongly I disagree...but only because I am trying hard to tend my garden, and that post is a snake hiding in the weeds...I will not yeild to temptation. lolSmiley Mad

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 63 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash has been an excellent cash back card for me and has been well worth having. It's one of the top recommended cards in many finance articles, and is an excellent choice for general spend and cash back. The frequent 0% balance transfer offers and 1% BT fee offer that occasionally comes my way are nice as well. Citi has also recently been offering 4.99% APR for purchases on several of their cards for the next year, which is helpful.

It sounds as if the OP's issue may be that he doesn't spend much at all, on credit cards or in any other area. You really can't expect much return if there isn't much being put out. I don't think anyone is going to give you $500 cash back for spending $100 here and there. Just a thought. Smiley Happy

Message 64 of 88
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@sarge12 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB, I can not tell you how strongly I disagree...but only because I am trying hard to tend my garden, and that post is a snake hiding in the weeds...I will not yeild to temptation. lolSmiley Mad

Really?  The BBR has no AF, and is a guaranteed $100/year rewards regardless of how much is spent... did I overlook something?

(I'm not being argumentative... I'm genuinely asking if there's something I'm not considering.)

Message 65 of 88
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Really?  The BBR has no AF, and is a guaranteed $100/year rewards regardless of how much is spent... did I overlook something?

(I'm not being argumentative... I'm genuinely asking if there's something I'm not considering.)

Yes...I did not know about the card and now I am being tempted to apply......I am in the garden!!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 66 of 88
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@sarge12 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes...I did not know about the card and now I am being tempted to apply......I am in the garden!!!!

Smiley LOL

I gotcha... It's a bit early, and my caffeine hasn't kicked in yet!  Smiley Tongue

Message 67 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

What ticks me off about this card is the notorious low credit limit. I've got 10 and 15k cards and this one has a 3? Checked my credit and it dropped nearly twenty something points because this card had a 43 percent util. Everything else was perfecf. I know it will go right back, but frustrating. Oh that and the CS sucks, when you can't understand what they're saying.
Message 68 of 88
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What ticks me off about this card is the notorious low credit limit. I've got 10 and 15k cards and this one has a 3? Checked my credit and it dropped nearly twenty something points because this card had a 43 percent util. Everything else was perfecf. I know it will go right back, but frustrating. Oh that and the CS sucks, when you can't understand what they're saying.

Did you request CLI...mine was issued with 4k cl, and as soon as I recieved it I did a CLI to 10k. It did require a seperate hp though!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 69 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the BBR is free money as long as you remember to use it and pay it. I charge .50 to $1 of Amazon gift cards every month and it's on autopay. I make sure to pay "more than the minimum" which is the technical rule even though reps will tell you that if you're under the regular $25 min, then PIFing counts. I'm not taking any chances. If my bill is .50 then I pay .51. Free money!
Message 70 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.