cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me, or is Kohl's stingy with CLI's?

tag
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it just me, or is Kohl's stingy with CLI's?

It happens. Citi did a hard pull on TU for a $200 increase on my sears card.

@halos24 wrote:

Did want to add, that a year ago I was increased from $200 to $500 but they did do a hard pull Smiley Mad!  I think it was worst that it was only for a $300 cli which is not worth it to me. 

Message 21 of 30
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

Just got the reason for my denial letter in the mail. Reasons stated (and paraphrased):

NO REAL ESTATE: Funny since I didn't have a house when I first app'd 2 years ago

OLDEST ACCOUNT OPENED NOT LONG AGO: Hmmm my AAOA is 11 years. Oldest open account is 7 years old

AVAILABLE CREDIT ON OPEN ACCOUNTS TOO LOW: hmmm. my Util is 9%

I was probably denied because I haven't used the card since last summer. I wasn't aware of the 6 months payment history. I charged about $200 worth of stuff a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll spread the payments out for 6 months then request an increase. One good thing to note is MY EX SCORE IS 723 WOOWHOOO!!! I didn't think my scores have moved since January when they were pulled for my mortgage. I have 2 credit monitoring services and neither reported a score jump.

;Starting Score: Low 500s FICO Aug 2008
Current Score: EQ 668 EX 723 TU 723 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 720s Across the Board! Almost there!

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 22 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

Just got the reason for my denial letter in the mail. Reasons stated (and paraphrased):

NO REAL ESTATE: Funny since I didn't have a house when I first app'd 2 years ago

OLDEST ACCOUNT OPENED NOT LONG AGO: Hmmm my AAOA is 11 years. Oldest open account is 7 years old

AVAILABLE CREDIT ON OPEN ACCOUNTS TOO LOW: hmmm. my Util is 9%

I was probably denied because I haven't used the card since last summer. I wasn't aware of the 6 months payment history. I charged about $200 worth of stuff a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll spread the payments out for 6 months then request an increase. One good thing to note is MY EX SCORE IS 723 WOOWHOOO!!! I didn't think my scores have moved since January when they were pulled for my mortgage. I have 2 credit monitoring services and neither reported a score jump.

i got same stuff and also said newest dq//derog to recent 4 years ago. to many inqs

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a Kohl's card July 2010 with a 300 CL, sometime last year I called for a CLI, I requested a limit of 1k and they gave it to me.  I am not sure if it was hard or soft, but I know they will not approve me now.  In the past year I have charged $7 on the card Smiley Tongue

As has been stated, prices that are too high for the low quality of products.  So much stuff made in China that it is sad.  I used the card a lot when I worked there over Xmas one year to make some extra money, the employee discount was nice Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 30
traveler2005
Established Contributor

So what are the secrets to getting a CLI from Kohls, I have a 300 limit, I have already charged that amount and paid off twice since account opened 2 months ago.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 25 of 30
boycottKOHLS
New Visitor

I tried to increase our KOHLS credit line. They denied it. Said they would send letter indicating why. Received the letter which says "Credit Score too Low". They say they used Experian. Called Experian and got credit report. EXPERIAN says there is no way we had a low credit score. OUR CREDIT SCORE IS HIGHER than 99.34% of US consumers according to Experian. I think they DON'T WANT PEOPLE WHO SHOW HISTORY OF NEVER CARRYING A BALANCE....CAN'T MAKE MONEY OFF US BECAUSE WE PAY IN FULL EACH MONTH. ***SHAME ON YOU KOHLS***

Message 26 of 30
MagicShot
Contributor

I suppose they are crazy. My DW just requested a CLI because we spent a little more this year there than before and the denined her. her FICO is 768 so I donno what their made of reasoning will be?

The current limit is $1000 would like to see it at 2-3k which is closer to what we spend at Kohls in a year.

She doesnt really care about high credit limits but shes discouraged and wants to close the account now after its paid off because we spend so much money there and her credit is excellant and they wouldnt even give her a CLI.

I sure hope some of these companies look at how the people that are managing their credit brand and would take some advice from people that actually spend money in their stores and pay their bills too.

Message 27 of 30
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Have had their card now going on 5 yrs, $300 initial and the same today, have never asked for a CLI, I prefer to go after CLIs on my real credit cards over a store card. I just use it a few times a year to keep it open for the AAoA.

Message 28 of 30
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I'm glad i fought the good battle, the other night I was shopping on Kohls.com  and wanted a discount but decided against it, I had forgotten it was backed by the Credit Miser, Cap1, oldest Cap1 card is 57 months old never a  late on any credit card or loan. second oldest Cap1 is 31 months each card has only 1 CLI as part of there step program.

Kohls would be doing much better if they decided to use GE as there credit card company people with good CL's tend to use them more.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 29 of 30
tryingagain62
Contributor

I was approved for a card December 2012 for $300. Called in October to request an increase and was given a CL of $1000. I'm rebuilding and my scores are in the 660-680.

range. I used the card twice and charged about $240 total.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.