Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it just me?

Well I argued with the branch manager of our bank here in Tx that they did not need to do four hard pulls to open a checking account.  At which time she told me they were soft pulls and I told her that I have my CR which shows they stay on for two years.  We argued the difference between hard and soft pulls, her telling me that they dont hurt your FICO.  Me explaining to her just whhow important your FICO is to all things in life, such as: but not limited to your insurance premiums ( thats when the blank look came on her face) and I knew I was fighting a losing battle. 

Then she proceeded to tell me how awful her CS is because of a divorce and asked me how long all the negative stuff would stay on there.  Anyway I felt sorry for her and let it be.  Vicki 

Message 11 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

greyhound2007 wrote:

...Then she proceeded to tell me how awful her CS is because of a divorce and asked me how long all the negative stuff would stay on there.  Anyway I felt sorry for her and let it be.  Vicki  

Oh, Lordy. Well, send her on to us. One more to untangle isn't going to kill us.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 21
mark925
New Contributor

A couple of months ago I was in Sears and picking up a couple of things and paid with my Sears store card.  The guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted to apply for a Sears Mastercard.  Just for fun, I asked him if they do a hard or soft pull on my credit report.  I don't I've ever seen a more clueless expression on someone's face -- ever.  Smiley Very Happy
Message 13 of 21
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

", I would expect the CSRs of major CCCs to know a little more."

Not really... like someone said, they do not work for the credit bureau, so it's not their job.  And it's completely obvious that the credit bureaus don't care about the welfare of the consumer (they serve their customers, who are for the most part not us) so it only follows that their customers (the cc companies)  don't care about the welfare of the consumer, either.  They just want to make money off us and couldn't care less what happens to our own personal credit reports, therefore there's no way they'd care enough to know the intricacies of what hurts or helps our personal credit.

As for people with high 800 scores not knowing all of this... well, sure.  The same way healthy people who've never had illnesses don't need to know about gallbladders and heart arteries and cholesterol levels.  Those of us who have a lot to work on learn the nuts and bolts to the degree that we talk to each other in our own special language.  Those who've never had to pay attention to this stuff can spend their time doing other things and needn't waste their time learning every last detail and all the industry terminology.

Established Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@CHARGE_IT wrote:

I've read these kind of statements on MyFico before. It is really naive not to realize that most of the acronymic conversation here is unique to the forum type.

While that is true, I would expect the CSRs of major CCCs to know a little more.  Chase, for example, allways tell me that a CLI will result in an inquiry on my CR.  It is rerally their bosses' job to teach them this sort of stuff

I agree. If you're in the credit industry you should understand what I consider the basics of credit.
Message 15 of 21
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I argued with the branch manager of our bank here in Tx that they did not need to do four hard pulls to open a checking account.  At which time she told me they were soft pulls and I told her that I have my CR which shows they stay on for two years.  We argued the difference between hard and soft pulls, her telling me that they dont hurt your FICO.  Me explaining to her just whhow important your FICO is to all things in life, such as: but not limited to your insurance premiums ( thats when the blank look came on her face) and I knew I was fighting a losing battle. 

Then she proceeded to tell me how awful her CS is because of a divorce and asked me how long all the negative stuff would stay on there.  Anyway I felt sorry for her and let it be.  Vicki 

If that wasn't so true, it'd be hilarious......Smiley LOL

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 16 of 21
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

even bank personnel do not know the difference between hp and sp or that there are different fico models.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 17 of 21
Croselx
Contributor

Super thread revival o_O lol.

From all of my applications for credit cards only GE CSRs seemed to know the difference between SP and HP (some appeard to be overseas and were very knowledgeable). The other CSRs said that there CLIs would always result in HPs unless automatic. They did not know what a SP was so they just told me it was going to count as a normal inquiry for credit like all applications and customer initiated CLI, IMO this is what all CSR reps should say in case it is an actual HP we are warned and if it is a SP it is a nice surprise.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 18 of 21
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

Of course, the average myFICO forumer knows more than the average CSR. To them it's just a job, they don't care about it, they just memorize what they are told and their knowledge outside of that is really limited. Now there are exceptions of course and if you were to call the executive office that would be a different story, because those people are in positions where they had to be passionate about their industry (and most likely educated) to get that job, a CSR is barely a step up from being a greeter at K-Mart, you have no education or passion for the job, if you did you wouldn't be doing that, that's a gross generalization and there are exceptions of course (AmEX CSRs are more knowledgable) but that's the general rule. It's not the case just with credit cards, it's for any industry. It's like if you are truly a computer geek, you walk into Best Buy, I guarantee you you'll know more than their "geek squad" or the people who work there in general, because you're passionate about it, you do tons of research on your own, you know the trends you know how everything is, to them it's just a job. And again, it's not a job where it's your dream to be a CSR and you go to school for 7 years to do that, it's just something to pay the bills.

Message 19 of 21
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

So true! When i asked for a cli on my discover card. I kindly asked the rep to please do a soft pull for the cl. She seemed confused and said sure and after she asked me a few q's she then when on to ask me for my permission to pull up my report. i told her if she could do it without it doing so but she said no. I got my hopes up for nothing but yeah seems like many don't know about hard or soft pulls.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.