Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it me or is EQ becoming obsolete???

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Is it me or is EQ becoming obsolete???

It seems like just yesterday EQ was the FICO golden child. Heck, Fair Isaac created Equifax!!!  Yet, fewer and fewer CC's are pulling EQ these days (EX seems extremely prevalent and TU surprisingly second).  Yes, I know YMMV and that some CRA's are specific regional hotspots. But in general I'm seeing less reference to EQ overall and more EX and TU.....
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it me or is EQ becoming obsolete???

I certainly hope so, it's my lowest score!Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm my eq has 20 pulls on it right now, Ex has 8.
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

pjxf99 wrote:
I certainly hope so, it's my lowest score!Smiley Happy

I feel u there an looking at my CR most creditors do pull from Experian & TransUion.
Message 4 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

It really depends on the creditor and where you live, but if I had to guess, I would say TU is the least utilized of the three.
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did an "app-spree" last weekend for AmEx (don't ask), BoA, Cap One and HSBC and this was the split:

EX: 5
EQ: 2
TU: 2

So it seems for those lenders I posted above, the preference is definitely for EX. But the two "big boys" pulled all 3. That would be Cap One and AmEx.

We're in FL (near the GA line), if that matters.
Message 6 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I live in Hawaii and most of the local banks here pull EQ, but the Mainland lenders almost always yank EX.
Message 7 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ChemGuy wrote:
It seems like just yesterday EQ was the FICO golden child. Heck, Fair Isaac created Equifax!!! Yet, fewer and fewer CC's are pulling EQ these days (EX seems extremely prevalent and TU surprisingly second). Yes, I know YMMV and that some CRA's are specific regional hotspots. But in general I'm seeing less reference to EQ overall and more EX and TU.....

I keep reading about FairIsaac inventing Equifax, but I don't think that's true. Wikipedia says:
Equifax was founded as Retail Credit Company in 1899. The company grew quickly and by 1920 had offices throughout the US and Canada. By the 1960s, Retail Credit Company was one of the nation's largest credit bureaus, holding files on millions of American citizens....
While I realize that Wiki is hardly an authority, the fact that EQ started in 1899 does make me question this supposed link.

It's sort of a fun article. Whoever wrote it seems to have been a little bitter, LOL. Per the article, Equifax was so awful that its excesses prompted the creation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equifax

There is a history between the two companies, especially in their partnership in Scorewatch.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 28
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Hmm....  Well I've apped for 3 CCs in the past 6 months, and got one pull per bureau.  EVERY other inquiry is on EQ.  I've got 1 on EX, 1 on TU and 11 on EQ! lol!

So CCCs may like to pull EX, but it seem everybody else still likes EQ (banks, CUs, dealerships, utility companies).  Yeah, I got a hard on EQ from Comcast.....  but I didn't have to pay a $25 deposit so it worked out in my favor! (sarcasm)

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think a lot of store cards and credit unions are still using eq
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.