cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for AmEx to hold MR points sign up bonus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it normal for AmEx to hold MR points sign up bonus?

And the saga continues! I changed my due date which also pushed back my statement closing date. So now instead of getting my points shortly after May 15th, I will now get them after my statement closes on June 6th! I checked again to see if they could expedite and nope.

For the record, I met the minimum spend on April 16th. So by the time I get my sign up bonus, it will have been close to 2 months. Not sure how much spend I want to put on MR going forward.

Message 21 of 26
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

I don't understand why, but this is normal for your a first MR earning card.  I got the PRG 50k and ED 25k at the same time and met min spend on the PRG first.  The 50k sat in pending through the first statement.  Met min spend on ED later, and it posted immediately.  Also got Blue for Biz, which had 10k on first purchase +10x MR on dining for 6 months and 2x MR on all purchases for 1 year.  That 10k also posted immediately, and the 9x extra MR for dining and 1x extra MR for other purchases also post immediately.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 22 of 26
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

As the poster said above me, in most cases they will hold your MR points on your first MR earning card.

My latest card, they credited my sign-up bonus as soon as I paid off my balance which was before my statement cut.

Also, you shouldn't have extended your statement date if you're in a position where you need your MR points soon.
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup my mistake. And I guess I can see why they do this for your first MR card. Oh well.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My PRG 25k is siting in pending still. I hit it Day before my first statement cut. Next statement cuts June 14th and hoping I at least get it then. This is my first MR card, but 2nd Amex
Message 25 of 26
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

My MR bonus took quite a while to post also, eventually it came around. Seemed like I had to wait a whole billing cycle after hitting the spend target.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.