Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it odd that I don't have a Visa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My current card line up is 3 store cards, two Mastercards, one Discover, and on AmEx. Is it strange that I don't have a Visa? Is that something that I should be getting? I don't see any reason for it, since I have never seen any stores that only accept Visa. Am I missing out on any benefits by not carrying a Visa?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Is it odd that I don't have a Visa?

Visa Signature (as in, what you typically get if you're approved for over $5k on a card) comes with no preset spending limit (you can charge above your limit on condition you pay it back when due at least down to the limit), and a few fringe perks like roadside assistance and discounts on movie tickets. Is it something someone really needs? No. Other than that, there is nothing special about normal Visa vs. anything else

Don't get a Visa just to get one. Mastercard and Visa are both accepted 99% of the time. I have never seen a place that took only Visa. They always take MC as well. Those two are interchangeable. There is no reason to get a Visa just because.

Message 2 of 26
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Well, if you do shopping at Costco, you will need Visa soon.

Under the terms of the agreements, Citi, the world's largest issuer of consumer credit cards, would become the exclusive issuer of Costco's co-brand credit cards and Visa will replace American Express as the credit card network for Costco in the United States and Puerto Rico beginning April 1, 2016. Once issued, Costco's co-brand Visa credit card would provide generous rewards to Costco members, serve as the Costco membership card, and would be accepted at Costco locations in the United States and Puerto Rico, as well as all merchants worldwide that accept Visa credit cards.

Message 3 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

Under the terms of the agreements, Citi, the world's largest issuer of consumer credit cards, would become the exclusive issuer of Costco's co-brand credit cards and Visa will replace American Express as the credit card network for Costco in the United States and Puerto Rico beginning April 1, 2016. Once issued, Costco's co-brand Visa credit card would provide generous rewards to Costco members, serve as the Costco membership card, and would be accepted at Costco locations in the United States and Puerto Rico, as well as all merchants worldwide that accept Visa credit cards.

Or you can switch to BJ's (if you have them around). I used to use Costco, but BJ's has the same selection, less crowds, same prices as much as I can tell, and is open longer (better hours). I also find them less restrictive, you can pay with whatever you want card wise. Restricting people to JUST Visa for CC is a bit silly, but I know it's nothing new for Costco.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Platinum wrote:

I live in Kentucky and I don't think we have any Costcos here. Sam's Club is the only big warehouse store we have and the closest one to me is over 100 miles away. I guess I am safe with what I have. Come to think of it, I do have two Visa debit cards, but I haven't swiped them at all since I started rebuilding, so I forget that I even have them.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kdm, I don't think that's weird. SAMs club is only MasterCard and Costco currently is only American Express. I believe SAMsclub used to only Discover at one point and Costco was also Discover at one point (i read 16 years ago). This is nothing new for warehouse clubs.

As for the comparison between Costco and BJ's..Costco no doubt is the better of the two but BJ's has more variety and is family friendlier. I have both.

If you live in the U.S. you will rarely find someone who doesn't accept MasterCard. Visa and MC tend to go hand in hand.
Message 6 of 26
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope.

@Anonymous wrote:

Am I missing out on any benefits by not carrying a Visa?

Only you can answer that.  Some don't find any of the features and benefits of the payment network/tier to be of any use.  Some find them very useful.  You have to look at them and decide for yourself or tell us what you're specifically looking for.  IMO one should consider an entire product versus fixating on the payment network (unless acceptance is a major concern) and/or tier.

Message 7 of 26
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

I actually didnt get my first Visa until 3 weeks ago, now I have 4! (CSP, two US Bank, second CapOne on the way) That is, if you dont count my Visa debit card.

It simply came down to that I didnt come across any Visa's that fit my spending patterns better than my other cards at the time.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always think of VISA and MC as the same thing..  I'm extra conscious of AMEX and Discover as they are less accepted.

Next year, I suppose I'll have to make sure I have a VISA on me when I shop at Costco.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a Costco in Louisville. I'm a member there. Smiley Happy 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

I live in Kentucky and I don't think we have any Costcos here. Sam's Club is the only big warehouse store we have and the closest one to me is over 100 miles away. I guess I am safe with what I have. Come to think of it, I do have two Visa debit cards, but I haven't swiped them at all since I started rebuilding, so I forget that I even have them.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.