Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to close CC's this way?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Is it ok to close CC's this way?

So i got a new Discover IT card with zero interest for 14 months so i decided it was time to close the cards that have been holding me back. Yesterday I closed 2 of my first premier cards and my credit1 card after my balance transfers went threw. The thing is I know that I should have waited until the balance reported zero but these first premier cards charge a monthly fee and i was pretty fed up with it so i didn't want to wait. 

Let me tell u First Premier is just horrble to try and close your cards, trying to make me feel like it was a mistake and so on or trying to tell me about credit when I already know about it. They gave me such a hard time to close them and I had to just tell them I don't want to talk anymore just close the cards. I'm so glad I closed these stupid cards as this should have been done years ago.

Do u guys know if they will try and pull any stunts? My balances when i did this was zero but i just couldn't wait for them to report. I also have an Orchard Bank card do u guys think I should close this card or try and get an increase on it? The only cards I want now are Prime only cards and low interest because i deserve it. Thanks!!!

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Is it ok to close CC's this way?

@quarius wrote:

So i got a new Discover IT card with zero interest for 14 months so i decided it was time to close the cards that have been holding me back. Yesterday I closed 2 of my first premier cards and my credit1 card after my balance transfers went threw. The thing is I know that I should have waited until the balance reported zero but these first premier cards charge a monthly fee and i was pretty fed up with it so i didn't want to wait. 

Let me tell u First Premier is just horrble to try and close your cards, trying to make me feel like it was a mistake and so on or trying to tell me about credit when I already know about it. They gave me such a hard time to close them and I had to just tell them I don't want to talk anymore just close the cards. I'm so glad I closed these stupid cards as this should have been done years ago.

Do u guys know if they will try and pull any stunts? My balances when i did this was zero but i just couldn't wait for them to report. I also have an Orchard Bank card do u guys think I should close this card or try and get an increase on it? The only cards I want now are Prime only cards and low interest because i deserve it. Thanks!!!

What cards and limits do you have now?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

I have alot of cards and limits from like $2400- $11,000 BOA, CITI, Discover, etc.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
Message 3 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

I have alot of cards and limits from like $2400- $11,000 BOA, CITI, Discover, etc.

Its ok to close in that case as i'm sure it wont hurt your UTL

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

I could care less about Util with these cards thats why I opened the Discover It so i can close these crap cards. I also have the money to pay off all of my cards so this really doesn't pertain to me. What I wanted to know is I don't want to get screwed by closing these cards before they report zero on my report, especially after dealing with First Premier yesterday they seemed pretty scetchy to me.

I also wanted to know if Orchard Bank card is considered a crap card, especially since Cap1 owns them now? Should i close this one also or will they raise my limits? 

My goal is to only have at the very min 4 fig cards but i mainly want to have all my limits in the 5 fig mark.

Message 5 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

I could care less about Util with these cards thats why I opened the Discover It so i can close these crap cards. I also have the money to pay off all of my cards so this really doesn't pertain to me. What I wanted to know is I don't want to get screwed by closing these cards before they report zero on my report, especially after dealing with First Premier yesterday they seemed pretty scetchy to me.

I also wanted to know if Orchard Bank card is considered a crap card, especially since Cap1 owns them now? Should i close this one also or will they raise my limits? 

My goal is to only have at the very min 4 fig cards but i mainly want to have all my limits in the 5 fig mark.

Let it update to CR's first

The OB has your card been changed by cap1 yet I know some have been given quicksilver as upgrades and waiting to see if they will now be given SP CLI's?

And as far as UTL it was more geared toward closing cards can hurt sometimes not that you were able to PIF ..Just the fact it reduces your available credit that's all

which can have a negative effect on scores sometimes of course YMMV

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

They've served their purpose, it's time to let them go so.  You have a better crop of cards for the garden now.  Smiley Happy  Way to go!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

The OB has your card been changed by cap1 yet I know some have been given quicksilver as upgrades and waiting to see if they will now be given SP CLI's?

And as far as UTL it was more geared toward closing cards can hurt sometimes not that you were able to PIF ..Just the fact it reduces your available credit that's all

U see I already closed the cards yesterday because I didn't want to get hit with more monthly fees so i can't wait for them to report.

Message 8 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

They've served their purpose, it's time to let them go so.  You have a better crop of cards for the garden now.  Smiley Happy  Way to go!

Thanks!!!

Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@quarius wrote:

U see I already closed the cards yesterday because I didn't want to get hit with more monthly fees so i can't wait for them to report.

LOL yes I did...YOu have a Hit list going I see ...Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.