tryingagain62
Contributor

Re: Is it ok to sock drawer?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

For those that have an ez, or I Pass...

One trick I did to keep cards alive was to load $2 onto the transponder with each card low on the totem pole, just to keep some usage there.

but i am getting 3x for travel with csp with ezpass :-) on an more serious note any weekly charges are fine to put on it like netflix , psn, xbl gold , or something of that nature is an good way to get keep cards open. 

Old people are here (like me) that don't do much beyond basic electronics.Smiley Wink

well for the older generation, just use it to buy an cup of coffee at starbucks or something like that

Us older generation folks don't have to buy coffee. It's free at McDonalds. LOL!  

Message 21 of 27
taxi818
Super Contributor

Wow.. im in the exact boat as you. Was only waiting on time to get amex. to stop apping period. i have 10 cards now. all except amex.

imo its ok to sd unless you have huge overall cl.

then it will not hurt your util to thin the herd. my opinion only. But I know for sure i will sd. when i do get amex,

I can;t even apply yet because i am waiting on experian. have dispute. but settle with other cra's

congrats on mission accomplished. luv to see hard work pay off.

Message 22 of 27
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Wow.. im in the exact boat as you. Was only waiting on time to get amex. to stop apping period. i have 10 cards now. all except amex.

imo its ok to sd unless you have huge overall cl.

then it will not hurt your util to thin the herd. my opinion only. But I know for sure i will sd. when i do get amex,

I can;t even apply yet because i am waiting on experian. have dispute. but settle with other cra's

congrats on mission accomplished. luv to see hard work pay off.

Thanks taxi818! Good luck to you! It was such a great feeling. Crossing my fingers for you.

Message 23 of 27
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Here's my take on the situation.

If you get better cards and they happen to have much greater limits than what you had previously, you can definitely go ahead and SD or close some of your lower limit stuff if you feel like you don't have much use for it anymore. I've closed about three accounts I didn't need anymore including two cards with very low 300 dollar CLs and it felt great being able to get way better cards with better limits to replace them and I'm possibly closing a 4th account (probably the Chevron card) if I get a decent CLI with CapOne or Discover in the future. I also don't want to have the burden of carrying tons of cards in my wallet, have a creditor think I have too many low limit tradelines open if I want to app for one of their cards later on, or becoming a victim of identity theft if someone managed to hack into an account I don't use anymore. Anyway, just do whatever works best for you.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 24 of 27
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

I feel your pain...with 12 cards, I have found I can't possibly use all the cards all the time. But I do not want to close anything right now. I basically end up using 5-6 on a regular basis.

For the rest I SD them, but I sprinkle an auto-pay on each. Gym membership, Mister Car Wash membership, Sirius XM, myfico, etc, etc. Card company sees "usage" which should be enough to keep them "alive".
Message 25 of 27
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I think for starters I'm going to xfer my balance from Barclay Rewards to Barclay Ring (I have other better rewards cards and the 8% APR on Ring is nice) and maybe close my Discover as it's a secured version of it with only a $300 balance. Although I really want to keep Discover for future relationship. It's at 5 months...maybe I'll see if they can graduate it early...even if it's another HP...I won't be applying for anything else soon. If they do that I'll close my Merrick bank. That'll bring me down to 7 revolvers and maybe when/if I get my 61x day CLI from AMEX I'll close my CapitalOne Plat.

Anyone know if the balance of a card needs to be completely paid off before you transfer the limit to another card? I have about a $200 balance on my Barclay Rewards...I can easily pay it off but would rather wait a few weeks.

Message 26 of 27
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

I think for starters I'm going to xfer my balance from Barclay Rewards to Barclay Ring (I have other better rewards cards and the 8% APR on Ring is nice) and maybe close my Discover as it's a secured version of it with only a $300 balance. Although I really want to keep Discover for future relationship. It's at 5 months...maybe I'll see if they can graduate it early...even if it's another HP...I won't be applying for anything else soon. If they do that I'll close my Merrick bank. That'll bring me down to 7 revolvers and maybe when/if I get my 61x day CLI from AMEX I'll close my CapitalOne Plat.

Anyone know if the balance of a card needs to be completely paid off before you transfer the limit to another card? I have about a $200 balance on my Barclay Rewards...I can easily pay it off but would rather wait a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure Barclay will not allow BT from Reward to Ring. Most lenders prohibit BT within the same lenders. Eg. no Citi to Citi, Chase to Chase, etc.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.