cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to let CCs report full balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it okay to let CCs report full balance?

The most I have ever let report was $233 on my 6k limit BCE. I am in the habit of constantly paying balances. Maybe I will try to relax and play around with some reporting.

Message 11 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The most I have ever let report was $233 on my 6k limit BCE. I am in the habit of constantly paying balances. Maybe I will try to relax and play around with some reporting.

With 0% rates, you lose nothing buy paying before the balance; so, mind as well enjoy the higher Fico score!  However, when rates increase, there will be a tangible price that is paid (in the form of interest lost) for the higher score.

Message 12 of 30
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
With all the talk about AA, is it okay to let your true balances report to your credit report?

I currently have a $3k balance out of $6k on my QS.

I am not looking to apply for anything for at least one year.

Therefore, would it be okay to let the $3k report? I see it as other lenders will be able to see my spend and usage if they HP me in the future. Am I correct in this matter? (I don't care about credit score right now)

>   this is going to be a good thread thank you!,   Yes.   Capital one loves you Carrying a balance..  take that into Consideration too.   if u can go 1 year...  u can go a little longer Smiley Happy  there will be New Cards coming out 2016/17!    also (IMO)   u said u not gonna app..  so u won't get any HP'S anyway rite Smiley Happy    yes and just pay at least double your Min (Yes)  i know u can pif if u had too    the point is everyone is diff:    situations Change..    sock draw & pay  you are fine.

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I make it a point to PIF as much as possible BEFORE the Statement Date.  Expecially when I know my Uitlization across my mix would exceed 7% or at most 20%.

Message 14 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@blondy250 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
With all the talk about AA, is it okay to let your true balances report to your credit report?

Therefore, would it be okay to let the $3k report? I see it as other lenders will be able to see my spend and usage if they HP me in the future. Am I correct in this matter? (I don't care about credit score right now)

+1

I didn't address this above, but it's an excellent consideration as well.  Having a high balance occasionally report demonstrates that you're actually capable of handling an account with a high credit line, not to mention it helps justify CLIs in the future.  Smiley Wink

My credit report shows that on my USAA Visa, I once had a high balance of $5300.  This was actually a 'fluke' (I made a large payment just after the statement generated) but now that the account is PIF, the credit bureau reports show that not only do I have a high credit line (relatively - for me), I've demonstrated that I can handle it.

In your case since the account in question is Capital One, allowing a high balance to report will definitely help when CLI time rolls around.  Smiley Very Happy

You have any evidence of this? Sounds like a myth or something people wish was true. Having a balance post in the OP's case will not matter except for a utilization hit, but it doesn' show any bank that you "can handle it".

Well, if you count personal experience and loads of other folks here who tend to agree, then yes, I have evidence.  Smiley Wink

My own banker has also mentioned my payment/utilization history as shown on my credit reports when discussing a loan in my local branch, so there's that as well. 

Certainly nothing 'mythical' to it.

Message 15 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Certainly nothing 'mythical' to it.

Right, assuming that CLs are a finite (assuming that Issuers can't extend an infinite amount), common sense dictates, all things equal, a Lender will be prone to issue a higher CL to those who "appear" to need and utilize them.  Historical high balance merely plays a role during this consdieration, but it does, nonetheless.

*Edited*  PS - For example, Amex automatically lowers the CL of cards I use less, while increasing the ones I use more.  In general, the more charged and paid, the higher the likelihood of an auto CLI, and vice versa.

Message 16 of 30
delaney1
Established Contributor

My QS has 0% until May. My CL Is 10k. l reported a balance of 6100 on dec 5.  The month before it was 6700. I'm going to enjoy the interest free period since I'm not apping for anything in 2016.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

My QS has 0% until May. My CL Is 10k. l reported a balance of 6100 on dec 5.  The month before it was 6700. I'm going to enjoy the interest free period since I'm not apping for anything in 2016.

I am doing this too.  My Freedom is 0% until Oct 2016.  I finally went on a splurge on Amazon, I want to pay it over 6 months.  It felt so weird to let the balance report.  I kept itching to pay it off. 

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jem lol I just made a thread on not paying for 0% right when you posted
Message 19 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It would not cause adverse action by anybody.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.