cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for unauthorized charges to take place nowdays?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a while since I got my first credit card and was just wondering if unauthorized charges can take place by hackers from other states. Is it possible for a hacker to order online using my stolen data from IPs pointing to other states?? Are there security measures in place from VisaCard to block such charges?
Sorry to have been a little overcautious, but I am a tad worried about my financial data to be exposed someday.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it possible for unauthorized charges to take place nowdays?

Most credit card companies do not monitor IP addresses that were used for X purchases online, no matter the state. Some online merchants however, may have some form of protection from shipping to an address other than the address listed on the credit card billing address. But if a hacker has your stolen info, an IP address from another state wont stop them. It takes about 2 seconds to browse online for a proxy to use so that my IP can reflect the state you reside in...

Your best bet is not to use your credit card online with non-established merchants or make foreign transactions online using your card. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most credit card companies do not monitor IP addresses that were used for X purchases online, no matter the state. Some online merchants however, may have some form of protection from shipping to an address other than the address listed on the credit card billing address. But if a hacker has your stolen info, an IP address from another state wont stop them. It takes about 2 seconds to browse online for a proxy to use so that my IP can reflect the state you reside in...

Your best bet is not to use your credit card online with non-established merchants or make foreign transactions online using your card. 

Yeah, CCCs cannot track IP addresses from which they were used. Only the merchant. 

If I were you, I would set up mobile notifications to get real time info. on when a transaction is made Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
vayub4
Regular Contributor

This shouldn't be much of a worry because you're not liable for unauthorized purchases. 

Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 4 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Are we sure CCC can't track your IP when you shop?  Sometimes, when I checkout they have that verified by VISA popup window.  I am not sure if that popop wouldn't let the bank see your IP.  If so the bank may use the IP to help detect fraud.   But just because the IP doesn't match the IP you login with doesn't mean they will deny. 

PS.  Some CCC will report the IP you use to login to banking to various credit reporting companies.

Message 5 of 8
chbartel
Regular Contributor

I called to cancel horrible credit one card after having it for a year. During call to cancel they said I had a balance. Nerver used it and the card has never left my house. There was fraudulent charges of 700 through PayPal on it! I don't understand how it's been used without them stealing the info direct from credit one.
Message 6 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Then they stole it from credit one, or credit one employees take it, or credit one itself charges up your card to get you to pay them.
Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely.  Fraud didn't just disappear.  It's still a problem.  Even in Europe where chip & PIN EMV is ubiquitous it's still a problem.  Criminals (at least some of them) are clever.

@Anonymous wrote:
Are there security measures in place from VisaCard to block such charges?

AFAIK Visa doesn't monitor IP's but here are definitely security measures in place.

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry to have been a little overcautious, but I am a tad worried about my financial data to be exposed someday.

You have fraud protection from your creditors.  All you can do is safeguard your cards (though that won't prevent all forms of fraud) and actively monitor all open accounts and your reports.  If you see transactions or report data that you don't recognize then you need to take action ASAP.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.