cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to do a product change from Amex Blue to Amex Green/Gold?

tag
aftermath
Established Contributor

Is it possible to do a product change from Amex Blue to Amex Green/Gold?

I'm sick and tired of Amex balance chasing me.  At this rate, I'll have a credit limit of $1 in a matter of months.  I want to call their bluff and just change it over to a charge card since i'm going to lose my credit line eventually anyways.

Is this possible?  Has anyone done this before?  Will they do a hard inquiry for the product change from credit to charge card?

Thanks.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
smalldede
Valued Member

Re: Is it possible to do a product change from Amex Blue to Amex Green/Gold?

As I know AMEX only allow product change :

Credit to Credit or Charge to Charge

But you can call to made a request under your situation you already no lost. ( Amex chasing your balancing right ? ) If they allow you to product change I beleive it's a soft only. Good luck

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think AMEX did send out to me some kind of product change, or maybe it wasn't, to get the Platinum. All I think was that they see I pay off my Blue Cash in full every month and wanted to charge me for $450 to get the Platinum. I threw that offer letter right away as I'm not gonna benefit much from it. It would be just a status thing if I get it, for now.
Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I just did the reverse: I opened a Blue and closed my Gold.

Couldn't do a product change, but the Blue will (should) report with the same age as the Gold. So no new credit ding. The only difference from a product change is that I have a new inq on EX.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Couldn't do a product change, but the Blue will (should) report with the same age as the Gold. So no new credit ding. The only difference from a product change is that I have a new inq on EX.

Wow, so the new EX inq was for the Blue? Hard to believe that you were a Gold customer and they still need to pull yours even you have history and i assume even good payment history with them. Btw, why Blue (not Blue Cash, Blue Sky) and close Gold?

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Eiso wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, so the new EX inq was for the Blue? Hard to believe that you were a Gold customer and they still need to pull yours even you have history and i assume even good payment history with them. Btw, why Blue (not Blue Cash, Blue Sky) and close Gold?

I was seeking new credit (the Blue), so it is only natural that they did an inq. I was expecting it, so no prob.

Blue Cash works for those who are willing to use it as their go-to card and run a bunch of charges through it. At my level of usage, it would not be a good rewards card. There is a calculator on the AmEx site to help you figure how much you can get back. And by the way, when you hit that $6500 figure (to hit the higher rewards), that's only for a year. On day 366, you start from scratch again.

Blue Sky would be great if I ever traveled anywhere other than up and down the interstate to work. Smiley Tongue

I suspect that American Express will be dropping some revolving product lines, and I figure Blue will be a keeper. It's not much of a rewards card, but I only have it to keep my toe in the water with them while they pull themselves together, if ever they do.

I closed the Gold because it was free the first year, but I was coming up on the $145 annual fee. Smiley Tongue I knew that getting a revolver would keep me as a current member without a fee.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.