Established Contributor
aftermath

Is it possible to do a product change from Amex Blue to Amex Green/Gold?

I'm sick and tired of Amex balance chasing me.  At this rate, I'll have a credit limit of $1 in a matter of months.  I want to call their bluff and just change it over to a charge card since i'm going to lose my credit line eventually anyways.

Is this possible?  Has anyone done this before?  Will they do a hard inquiry for the product change from credit to charge card?

Thanks.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Valued Member
smalldede

Re: Is it possible to do a product change from Amex Blue to Amex Green/Gold?

As I know AMEX only allow product change :

Credit to Credit or Charge to Charge

But you can call to made a request under your situation you already no lost. ( Amex chasing your balancing right ? ) If they allow you to product change I beleive it's a soft only. Good luck

Contributor
Eiso

I think AMEX did send out to me some kind of product change, or maybe it wasn't, to get the Platinum. All I think was that they see I pay off my Blue Cash in full every month and wanted to charge me for $450 to get the Platinum. I threw that offer letter right away as I'm not gonna benefit much from it. It would be just a status thing if I get it, for now.
-----------------------------------------------------
FICO pulled by loan officer on 8/3/2009
EQ: 724
EX: 740
TU: 742
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

I just did the reverse: I opened a Blue and closed my Gold.

Couldn't do a product change, but the Blue will (should) report with the same age as the Gold. So no new credit ding. The only difference from a product change is that I have a new inq on EX.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Contributor
Eiso

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Couldn't do a product change, but the Blue will (should) report with the same age as the Gold. So no new credit ding. The only difference from a product change is that I have a new inq on EX.

Wow, so the new EX inq was for the Blue? Hard to believe that you were a Gold customer and they still need to pull yours even you have history and i assume even good payment history with them. Btw, why Blue (not Blue Cash, Blue Sky) and close Gold?

-----------------------------------------------------
FICO pulled by loan officer on 8/3/2009
EQ: 724
EX: 740
TU: 742
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Eiso wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, so the new EX inq was for the Blue? Hard to believe that you were a Gold customer and they still need to pull yours even you have history and i assume even good payment history with them. Btw, why Blue (not Blue Cash, Blue Sky) and close Gold?

I was seeking new credit (the Blue), so it is only natural that they did an inq. I was expecting it, so no prob.

Blue Cash works for those who are willing to use it as their go-to card and run a bunch of charges through it. At my level of usage, it would not be a good rewards card. There is a calculator on the AmEx site to help you figure how much you can get back. And by the way, when you hit that $6500 figure (to hit the higher rewards), that's only for a year. On day 366, you start from scratch again.

Blue Sky would be great if I ever traveled anywhere other than up and down the interstate to work. :smileytongue:

I suspect that American Express will be dropping some revolving product lines, and I figure Blue will be a keeper. It's not much of a rewards card, but I only have it to keep my toe in the water with them while they pull themselves together, if ever they do.

I closed the Gold because it was free the first year, but I was coming up on the $145 annual fee. :smileytongue: I knew that getting a revolver would keep me as a current member without a fee.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}