cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get a lower Chase APR with a PC to a different Chase card that has a lower APR?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Is it possible to get a lower Chase APR with a PC to a different Chase card that has a lower APR?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a lower go-to Chase APR by a PC'ing to a different Chase card that already has a lower established base APR?  I have had some limited degree of success with doing this with other cc lenders, and so I was wondering if it can also potentially be done with Chase.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get a lower Chase APR with a PC to a different Chase card that has a lower APR

@galahad15 wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a lower go-to Chase APR by a PC'ing to a different Chase card that already has a lower established base APR?  I have had some limited degree of success with doing this with other cc lenders, and so I was wondering if it can also potentially be done with Chase.

It may be theoretically possible, but most of their cards have the same APR ranges and/or the same fixed APR depending what you are talking about specifically. There's also the fact that I don't quite understand PCing to a potentially useless product just to get a lower APR.

I just have accepted that Chase simply does not lower APRs and I never carry a balance on the one card I have with them, nor do I expect them to lower it. I think unorthodox methods like you suggest to lower the APR are probably not worth it even if they did work, because like I said, most of the cards have the same basic range. You aren't going to end up with a substantially lower APR. If the new product has a range, I assume your APR would remain exactly the same.

My advice would be to pay off any interest-bearing balances with Chase and just avoid carrying a balance with them if the APRs are too high because they are not flexible with it.

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get a lower Chase APR with a PC to a different Chase card that has a lower APR

Certainly possible.  Likely?  We can't tell you that.  Many have difficulty getting APR reductions from Chase but, as with any creditor, it all comes down to what your credit profile can qualify for.  It's never just about the creditor and/or product.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be possible, but I think they usually transfer your existing APR over to the new product, for better or worse. For instance.. I PC'ed my chase Slate at 12.24% to a CFU. The APR at 12.24% carried over even though the lowest APR on a CFU when you apply for it is 14.24%

Message 4 of 5
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

It may be theoretically possible, but most of their cards have the same APR ranges and/or the same fixed APR depending what you are talking about specifically. There's also the fact that I don't quite understand PCing to a potentially useless product just to get a lower APR.

I just have accepted that Chase simply does not lower APRs and I never carry a balance on the one card I have with them, nor do I expect them to lower it. I think unorthodox methods like you suggest to lower the APR are probably not worth it even if they did work, because like I said, most of the cards have the same basic range. You aren't going to end up with a substantially lower APR. If the new product has a range, I assume your APR would remain exactly the same.

My advice would be to pay off any interest-bearing balances with Chase and just avoid carrying a balance with them if the APRs are too high because they are not flexible with it.

I haven't carried any balances with my 2 Chase cards since the 0% promos expired quite a while ago.  I guess right now I'm currently debating whether to keep them for additional util, combine them into a single account, or to simply close them out at some point down the road.  The Chase Freedom card does have the 5% rotating rewards categories, so if I was to hypothetically combine the cards into the Freedom, I could still utilize the rewards benefits as long as I always PIF.  FWIW, I also liked the Blueprint feature of the Slate card in theory, but the go-to APR leaves much to be desired...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.