Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get approved for an American Express credit card

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Is it possible to get approved for an American Express credit card

with no previous relations with the company? I want to apply for either the Blue or Clear cards, my equifax score is 740 and have no bad items on all three reports. Is there any chance to get approved even though I checked on the site for any pre-approvals and only got a few for Zync and the Green card? No idea what income they require.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get approved for an American Express credit card

@Awesomely wrote:

with no previous relations with the company? I want to apply for either the Blue or Clear cards, my equifax score is 740 and have no bad items on all three reports. Is there any chance to get approved even though I checked on the site for any pre-approvals and only got a few for Zync and the Green card? No idea what income they require.

Yes, you can get approve without having any prior business with them.  I got approved for the Blue Cash card.  But I had to recon to get approve.  My FICO scores were b/t 767 and 771, but I didn't get instantly approve through its internal scoring model.  Take a shot!! I think you'd get approved.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely, My first AMEX was a revolver, just cold apped and was approved FICO at that time was around 720.

They are pretty much guaranteed to pull Experian so as long as your report is clean and score is close to your Equifax you will be fine.

Go for it

Message 3 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely, My first AMEX was a revolver, just cold apped and was approved FICO at that time was around 720.

They are pretty much guaranteed to pull Experian so as long as your report is clean and score is close to your Equifax you will be fine.

Go for it

My EX report was cleaned as a whistle and didn't get approved initially.  My scores were higher than OP's score.  It's a 50/50 chance. 

Message 4 of 14
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot guys, I am going to wait a few more months so my score goes a little bit higher before applying. Do you know which of their revolving cards are easier to get approved for?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear the Delta card is the easier card to get approved for.

Message 6 of 14
Clashmoore
Established Member

I randomly app'ed for their Zync card a few weeks back. My EX score was 602 and I was instantly approved without a preset limit (some people are getting $250, $500 limits on the charge card).

My utils were very high >95%, but I paid off after the Zync and now they are close to 0%.

I even had a collection account that I only found out about when I joined this community afterwards. That since has been removed from my report as it wasn't mine.

I also had a recent 60 day late on a school loan from June 2010.

If you're going to wait a few months to app for a revolving card, maybe you'd want to app now for a pre-approved charge card like the Zync or Green and then app for the Blue or Clear in 6 months?

Of course you'd have two hits then.

Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd say that you're good for a Blue now, as long as you don't have a boatload of new accounts, no lates within the last two years, and low util.

I realize that things might have changed, though.

Definitely hold off on the Costco TrueEarnings, which is one of the two toughies. (Clear being the other.)

If you want to start with a charge card, which is easier to get, I'd suggest apping for a Gold card. No fee the first year, and you can apply for a revolver in month 11, and then close the Gold before the fee hits.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 14
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

I am looking at either the Blue Cash or the Clear. I have a Discover card with a limit of $2,250, a Capital One card with a $500 limit which I am thinking about closing and a Chase Slate with a $300 limit. Only have two inquiries on the Transunion report and the other two are clean. If I were to close the Capital One card which was my first card that I got in August of 2008 would it still be considered my oldest card on the report or would that go to Discover? 

I am so scared =/

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say go for it! I think you stand a really good chance...

You will never know until you try!

Ray

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.