cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get approved without a job?

tag
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get approved without a job?

Specifically, what do you mean LS2982? 

Sorry, still working on learning all of the acronyms!  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 44
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

A lot of collection authorities will be willing to make an agreement with you to delete the account from your reports if you pay them. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 12 of 44
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Lol sorry.....

What I meant was have you tried to settle your negative accounts with the collection agency's with what's called a PFD (Pay for Deletion) letter. I'm assuming you haven't, I would recommend taking a look at the rebuilding your credit forum here and explore your options on how to successfully remove bad account. It will help your spouse get better accounts and will help you both get on jointly.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 44
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

I don't really have any negative accounts.  There were 2 zombie debts on mine that I successfully had removed.  There is still one lingering that is bogus and I'm about to contact a lawyer about.  They didn't verify anything and plus it's over 6 years old now (it's a medical debt).  On hubby's he has one bad thing that they are not even responding to.  It was something that was reported to a CA by mistake.  Nice, eh?  Other then that we only have a car loan and no other debt.

Message 14 of 44
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

And, I'm not on the car loan.

Message 15 of 44
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@fuzzybean wrote:

Are there any credit cards left out there that allow for household income?  I know the laws changed a couple years ago so that spouses had to have their own income to apply.  I'm trying to get a card to build up my credit.  Hubby has one secured and one unsecured, both with very low credit limits.  He has been unsuccessful and getting anything else so we decided we'd try to see if I could get one on my own, but I do not work.  I'm thinking that's not even possible anymore.  Or, is it?

Hey fuzzybean!!  Welcome to the forums!

I believe that on the application, there is a separate line that ask for other types of income that you do not have to claim if you so desire.  I think this is where as a non employed person, you can claim any income you will be using to pay your debt.  I believe you would not be dishonest if you were to put your husband's income here as your source of repayment.  Also, I would really look into the "rebuilding" section of these forums.  Midland was really easy to work with for PFD when I was trying to build up my scores.  Great info there!!  Best of luck!!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 16 of 44
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@fuzzybean wrote:

Are there any credit cards left out there that allow for household income?  I know the laws changed a couple years ago so that spouses had to have their own income to apply.  I'm trying to get a card to build up my credit.  Hubby has one secured and one unsecured, both with very low credit limits.  He has been unsuccessful and getting anything else so we decided we'd try to see if I could get one on my own, but I do not work.  I'm thinking that's not even possible anymore.  Or, is it?

Hey fuzzybean!!  Welcome to the forums!

I believe that on the application, there is a separate line that ask for other types of income that you do not have to claim if you so desire.  I think this is where as a non employed person, you can claim any income you will be using to pay your debt.  I believe you would not be dishonest if you were to put your husband's income here as your source of repayment.  Also, I would really look into the "rebuilding" section of these forums.  Midland was really easy to work with for PFD when I was trying to build up my scores.  Great info there!!  Best of luck!!

Thank you!  It's just all so frustrating!  We're nearly 5 years out from the bankruptcy (and foreclosure that is in hubby's name so doesn't show on my CR) and all we have is one secured card with a $500 limit that I'm an AU on and one unsecured with a $300 limit that hubby has.  We did manage to refinance our car last December and went from 26% to 9% that is in hubby's name only.  We are considering refinancing again and applying jointly to help rebuild my credit, too.  Besides that, we're just stuck and can't seem to qualify for anything.

I will check out the rebuilding section!  We'd like to buy another house in a few years and are working our butts off to get out scores up, but we get dinged for the very things we can't seem to qualify for!

Message 17 of 44
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Try not to get too frustrated with it all. I know easier said then done. Building credit is strategic and really takes some real research. It can be done though with a little persistence and patience. It took some time to get where you are at and takes time to get away from it. First off, if you don't mind sharing, how many applications have you applied in the last 6 months and to whom? Also, what were the reason listed for denial? Have you pulled your FICO from here and if so, what is you EQ score? Maybe we can offer some credit card options for you/husband. Before you app to refi your auto loan... Have you looked into joining a CU (credit union)?

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 18 of 44
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Try not to get too frustrated with it all. I know easier said then done. Building credit is strategic and really takes some real research. It can be done though with a little persistence and patience. It took some time to get where you are at and takes time to get away from it. First off, if you don't mind sharing, how many applications have you applied in the last 6 months and to whom? Also, what were the reason listed for denial? Have you pulled your FICO from here and if so, what is you EQ score? Maybe we can offer some credit card options for you/husband. Before you app to refi your auto loan... Have you looked into joining a CU (credit union)?

I don't mind sharing, since it can only help.

In the past six months, the only thing applied for was by hubby for the barclaycard, but we're guessing he was denied since they said they'd get back to him within 10 days.  There was no option for me as a joint applicant, only an AU.  The other two cards that we have were applied for much earlier in the year.  The reasons for denial were the bankruptcy and not enough credit.  Go figure!  We also tried a gas card that was denied.

We've tried credit unions.  No success.

We pulled our FICOs from here this morning.  Mine are now in my siggy and hubby's scores were 716 (EQ) and 722 (TU).

Message 19 of 44
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

I just noticed on my credit report that Equifax is showing our bankruptcy as pending, not dishcharged.  I wonder if that's part of the problem?  It was discharged nearly 5 years ago.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.