Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to place a freeze on your credit card account

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Is it possible to place a freeze on your credit card account

I have a credit card  with a balance of 19k and plan to pay it down to about $500 or so.  Is it possible to request that a freeze be put on the account so it won't be used any longer?  I am undisciplined an figure I may use it again once paid down , and of course i wouldn't want to close it.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it possible to place a freeze on your credit card account

I don't think there is a way to do this by contacting the issuer.  Even if you could, it seems like it would raise all kinds of alarms and possibly cause AA.

The best way to do this:  Take a plastic container (I prefer the reusable ones that come with lunchmeat inside).  Fill it with water and put your card in.  Replace the lid and stick in the freezer.  Voila!  Frozen account.

Message 2 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Scissors.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delete the card from all your online accounts where it's a payment method and shred the actual card. You won't be able to use it that way. And if you absolutely have to, you can always tell them the card was damaged and ask them to send you a new one.

Damaged/worn is better than lost, since they don't necessarily need to issue you a new card number that way.

Message 4 of 10
singulardedication
Valued Member

Yeah when I was yound and stupid I attempted 'freezing' and ended up closing my account.

If you really want to play dangerous some companies let you close an account and then re-open it in 30-60 days, but probally gets a review and red flags.

Starting Score: TU 732 | EQ 655 | EX Plus 725 [Jan 2012]
Current Score: TU 697 | EQ 694 | EX 659 (psecu) [aPRIL 2012]
Goal Score: 760 In Aggressive paydown mode, thinking Amex BCE for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@babbles wrote:

I have a credit card  with a balance of 19k and plan to pay it down to about $500 or so.  Is it possible to request that a freeze be put on the account so it won't be used any longer?  I am undisciplined an figure I may use it again once paid down , and of course i wouldn't want to close it.  Thanks.

Shred the card. Oncve paid down, ask for a replacement. But IMO, if you feel like your undisiplined and you have 19K worth of CC debt, I'd shred it and keep it that way.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 10
learnin113
Established Contributor

@babbles wrote:

Wait a minute...did you say 19 grand??? Smiley Surprised

Cut it up!!!

Message 7 of 10
FrugalRican
Blogger

@babbles wrote:

Seems to me that you've become disciplined enough to actually start paying this down.

Go to bankrate, and go figure out how much you'll be paying off in interest over the course of time it'll take you to pay it off.

And if you plan on paying only the minimum, your credit card statement should definitely tell you how long it'd take you to pay it off and the total amount of the interest tacked on.

If that figure doesn't scare you enough to start the discipline process, then I don't know what will.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'd advise you to cut the card up.  If you suspect that you will have trouble with it in the future then you need to do something permanent, maybe even closing it.

IMO it is better to have smallish open CCs than to have $19,000 of available credit if you have issues with being able to only charge what you can afford to pay off.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@babbles wrote:

Seems to me that you've become disciplined enough to actually start paying this down.

Go to bankrate, and go figure out how much you'll be paying off in interest over the course of time it'll take you to pay it off.

And if you plan on paying only the minimum, your credit card statement should definitely tell you how long it'd take you to pay it off and the total amount of the interest tacked on.

If that figure doesn't scare you enough to start the discipline process, then I don't know what will.

+1

The interest is going to be insane if not handled properly!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.