Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to re-open closed CC?

tag
nupey10
Regular Contributor

Is it possible to re-open closed CC?

Is it possible to have a closed CC re-opened with the same age of the account.

One of my credit unions closed my card several years ago because of lateness.  I have kept paying on it for YEARS and finally just paid it off full.  Its 1 of 2 lines on my report that is 15 yrs old.  They just sent me the letter below.    I want to ask if they will re-open it.  Have you heard of accounts re-opened without losing its accumilated years?  Thanks

DCU letter.JPG

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it possible to re-open closed CC?

It depends on the bank/credit union. About a decade ago it was not uncommon for a lot of banks/credit unions to reopen a closed account; however, thesedays most banks/credit unions will no longer do this. Many blame the CARD Act for not reopening and in other cases, the computer systems simply will not allow it.

I have no experience with DCU so maybe others can shed some light. Otherwise, just give them a call to see what they say. At the very least, they should report the card for up to another 10 years to help with your AAoA.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it possible to re-open closed CC?

It's extremely rare that a creditor would reopen a closed credit line.  Most of the cases I've heard of this happening is if an automated system closes a credit line or something and the cardholder calls to recon right away, perhaps citing a mistake or error.  Time is of the essence though and the more time that lapses the smaller the chances are of being able to get it reopened.  You've got a couple of years, so there's no way IMO that they'd consider reopening it.  They'll simply invite you to apply again.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.