cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to take over an account?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is it possible to take over an account?

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@kimjks2003 wrote:

I'm just thinking because I currently hold a Citi ThankYou Preferred Card which my dad applied for two years ago so I have something to use while I am just starting out on my credit. Since then I have been the only one using the card and now that I have actually established my own credit profile, I am thinking if it's possible to "take over" the account from my dad and be promoted as the Primary Account Holder from an Authorized User. 

Is this something that's possible? I already have my own Double Cash Card with Citi and I would like to take over this ThankYou Preferred Card.

No. The only thing I could think of is to see if he can add you as a JOINT account holder, which would transfer responsibility of the card to both him AND you, making it also your account. 

If he can do that, maybe you can then ask if you can remove him from the account (though unlikely) and it could then be yours Smiley Tongue 

I don't think Citi allows joint accounts.  Do they?

They have a page explaining account ownership, which lists joint credit card accounts. Worth a try. 

Right, but this explains the responsibility and management aspect, not the fact that they have them anymore (credit cards-wise).  They used to, but I don't believe they feature that type of joint ownership anylonger.  Under power-of-attorney that may be possible but it would depend on whether the primary cardholder has extenuating circumstances for the switch of ownership to occur (i.e. survivorship, revocable/irrevocable trusts, etc).

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@kimjks2003 wrote:

I'm just thinking because I currently hold a Citi ThankYou Preferred Card which my dad applied for two years ago so I have something to use while I am just starting out on my credit. Since then I have been the only one using the card and now that I have actually established my own credit profile, I am thinking if it's possible to "take over" the account from my dad and be promoted as the Primary Account Holder from an Authorized User. 

Is this something that's possible? I already have my own Double Cash Card with Citi and I would like to take over this ThankYou Preferred Card.

No. The only thing I could think of is to see if he can add you as a JOINT account holder, which would transfer responsibility of the card to both him AND you, making it also your account. 

If he can do that, maybe you can then ask if you can remove him from the account (though unlikely) and it could then be yours Smiley Tongue 

I don't think Citi allows joint accounts.  Do they?

They have a page explaining account ownership, which lists joint credit card accounts. Worth a try. 

Right, but this explains the responsibility and management aspect, not the fact that they have them anymore (credit cards-wise).  They used to, but I don't believe they feature that type of joint ownership anylonger.  Under power-of-attorney that may be possible but it would depend on whether the primary cardholder has extenuating circumstances for the switch of ownership to occur (i.e. survivorship, revocable/irrevocable trusts, etc).

I just looked at a cc application and there was no where to select a joint account so I'm thinking this was a thing of the past.

Message 12 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Doesn't mean it ain't worth trying. Smiley Tongue

If you don't ask you don't get anything =]
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses you guys! I sincerely hope it's still possible. I don't want to end up with two cards to manage where one is obviously the better choice (i'm looking at you Double Cash!).

@jsucool76 wrote:
Doesn't mean it ain't worth trying. Smiley Tongue

If you don't ask you don't get anything =]

Yeah, I tried calling them today and asked if it's possible to take-over an account which they said isn't possible. I haven't checked about the joint ownership though. If it requires power of attorneys and all the other difficult what-nots then i'll probably just PC the ThankYou Preferred to another Double Cash and keep that account active with my Netflix subscription! lol.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a chance to do that with Citibank on an account of my moms in which I was an authorized user some years ago. 

They will run your credit and see if you can qualify.  Sometimes that kind of situation arises when a parent dies, there is debt in an account, and the beneficiary of the will is an au.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.