cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to transfer Credit Limit from Citi Costco Anywhere to Citi Diamond Preferred?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to transfer Credit Limit from Citi Costco Anywhere to Citi Diamond Preferred?

Hey!

This is my first post here after spending a few weeks reading.

Some background (TLDR - feel free to skip to the questions in bold at the bottom):

We're doing major renovation on a house we bought and last month I had the (not so great) idea to increase the credit line on my cards to pay for appliances and other hardware. We now have

• CSP -> 25k limit.
  • Costco Citi -> 30k limit.
  • REI MC -> was already 25k limit.

So we bought appliaces and then I realized (duh) I still have to pay it off or pay intereset, so I decided to get credit cards with 0% intereset as short term loan. To avoid hitting out score even more, we wont max them about but keep a balance of about ~25% until the 0% offer expires.

So I applied and received the following cards:

• Freedom Unlimited -> 13k limit, 0% for 15/mo.
  • Citi Diamond Preferred -> 9k limit, 0% for 21/mo.
  • Amex BlueCash -> 4k limit, 0% for 12/mo.

😎

Now I got 2 HPs from last month CLIs, which aren't useful, and extra 3 from these apps but I got so so credit lines. This is where my journey begins!

• Chase won't allow a CLI without another HP, even though they just performed one for the app. They will however let me transfer credit limit immediately. Called EO and made a special request to perform a CLI without a HP, if they call me back and say no I'll just keep 5k on the CSP and transfer the rest.
  • Amex won't let me do a CLI for a few more months. I asked for an exception but they told me to wait at least a month before calling back. 
  • Citi told me on the phone they would let me transfer my credit line 4 days after the app, that's when the card appears in the system. Also no HP necessary since they keep my credit history for 30 days.

Called Citi today and requested a supervisor after the CSR had no clue how to perform a credit line transfer between my Costco card and the Citi Diamond Preferred. Then the supervisor immediately says they can't transfer between these cards because of some agreement with Costco. Told him I was told that's possible before applying to the card - he apologized somebody else mislead me but insisted that's not possible.

So my questions are:

1. Is this true that's it's not possible to tranfer credit line between these cards?
  2. Should I callback and ask for a supervisor again? Will it be the same person?
  3. Or just wait for Monday to call EO? do they eanswer on weekends?
  4. And what are the odds Amex will up their limit? $1000 is exactly what we need to get the bonus but that's about as much as we can squeeze out of that card until the 0% expires without going over 25% utilization.

Thanks in advance for your support, I dicovered this forum this month and got completely addicted. You've already been super helpful!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it possible to transfer Credit Limit from Citi Costco Anywhere to Citi Diamond Preferred?

Just happened to me... similar thing:

From any CITI to another CITI card, transfering credit limit will always require a HARD PULL even though technically you are not asking for more credit. I even had a supervisor asking the credit department and I just applied for their card today and they could not use the same pull.

yeah it sucks.

Message 2 of 5
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Is it possible to transfer Credit Limit from Citi Costco Anywhere to Citi Diamond Preferred?

There are plenty of posts on this in the forums.

With that said, you cannot transfer credit lines from one card to another with Citi. You have to call and ask for a credit limit decrease on one card and a credit limit increase on the other. This incurs a hard pull because you are asking for more credit on one of your cards. There is no guarantee that they will grant the increase either. Make sure that it has been longer than 6 months since your last increase on the card that you want increased. Been through it two or three times with Citi. Been the same every time.

Message 3 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You'll be eligible to increase your AMEX limit 61 days after your account was opened. Give it a couple of extra days just to make sure you haven't counted wrong. Use the link on their site, and ask for 3 times your current limit ($12,000). Given the limits on your other cards and given that your overall utilization appears to be in check, I think you'll likely be approved. The only mild negative I see is the percentage of cards you have with balances, but since your utilization is within the "responsible" range, I don't think that'll be an obstacle.

Message 4 of 5
csryang
Frequent Contributor

1. Is this true that's it's not possible to tranfer credit line between these cards?  Yes, you are right. Hard pull for any Citi CL transfers.
  2. Should I callback and ask for a supervisor again? Will it be the same person? You could and will probably reach different person.
  3. Or just wait for Monday to call EO? do they eanswer on weekends? You could call EO but they probably will tell you same thing. It wont hurt to ask though.
  4. And what are the odds Amex will up their limit? $1000 is exactly what we need to get the bonus but that's about as much as we can squeeze out of that card until the 0% expires without going over 25% utilization. After getting a new Amex card for 61 days, you are eligible for CLI 3x the current CL but you need to ask for it on the website yourself. It will be a soft pull increase. If denied, you can ask again in 3 months. If approved, you can ask again in 6 months. Each time you can ask 3x the current CL. Trick is to use the card heavily and pay in full without leaving any balance at the statement closing date. This way you are more likely to have CLI by Amex.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.