cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to waive the AF for the Platinum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to waive the AF for the Platinum?

According to Amex I can not get the 25k bonus points, due to the Zync and the 12 month thing.  So I was just going to call this morning and apply for the Platinum Card, any advice on asking to have the fee waived for the first year? Besides being nice?

Thank you for your appreciation.
You can certainly apply for our Platinum Card today by visiting: http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Platinum-Card/25330
Alternatively, you can apply for the American Express Platinum Card by calling (877) 621-2639 (Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time) and one of our representatives will be glad to assist you.
I'd like to clarify that you will not be eligible to receive 25,000 bonus points on spending $2,000.00 in the first 3 months of Cardmembership.
As per the offer terms and conditions, welcome bonus offer is not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or ZYNC, Green or Gold Card or Platinum Card account within the last 90 days.
I hope you find this information useful. Should you need any assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely, Rajiv Jacob Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it possible to waive the AF for the Platinum?

Afaik getting the AF waived on th platinum card won't happen, at least it hasn't in my experience with them, others who may have been so lucky may want to chime in though...

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never heard of anyone getting their Platinum's first year annual fee waived.  Honestly, I don't think it's possible.  Maybe every now and then a few people get targeted offers for that, but I'm pretty sure Amex wants to avoid people getting the Platinum for one year and using all the benefits extensively and closing before the fee hits.

Message 3 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

As the others stated, they never waive the annual fee. The only targeted offer I have seen that is worth it, is 100000 Membership Reward points after spending so much. That covers the annual fee for two years so it is an alright offer.

Message 4 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

I tried but was told that only if there was some major issues on their end that resulted in a customer dissatisfaction, they can't waive it.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I did really think about it that way. But I kinda thought since I am not able to get any bonus I should or may ask. But it will not deter me from getting it, if approved.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with American Express, I applied for the Platinum. No budging on the AF which I was fine with, but asked anyways. CSR was really nice but said the computer blah blah blah and that it would take an hour to find out. So I am waiting to see what will be the outcome..

Message 7 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Keep us posted!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.