cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to rock the boat with Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it safe to rock the boat with Discover?

So about a month ago I applied for the Discover more card, instant approval and 5,500 limit. I have had the card for almost 3 weeks now and my balance on it is only 125 because I havent really used it all that much. Some groceries and restaurants here and there.

I have seen the news that Chase has a targeted offer for 50,000 miles for first purchase with a United explorer card if you have some miles in your United account, which I can do in a minute if I transfer my CO miles over.

I am thinking of taking the bait on Chase's offer but I am concerned what Discover would think if they see another account pop up one month later after getting their card, or if I am denied one inquiry pop up.

I have hardly any inquiries, 3 on Experian and 2 each on TU and EQ so if I am denied I wont be apping until the fall anyway.

Just wondering how wise it is to app for another prime card after getting your first prime card one month earlier, and with a relatively young AAoA at 3.6 years, but I do have low util.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it safe to rock the boat with Discover?

@Anonymous wrote:

So about a month ago I applied for the Discover more card, instant approval and 5,500 limit. I have had the card for almost 3 weeks now and my balance on it is only 125 because I havent really used it all that much. Some groceries and restaurants here and there.

I have seen the news that Chase has a targeted offer for 50,000 miles for first purchase with a United explorer card if you have some miles in your United account, which I can do in a minute if I transfer my CO miles over.

I am thinking of taking the bait on Chase's offer but I am concerned what Discover would think if they see another account pop up one month later after getting their card, or if I am denied one inquiry pop up.

I have hardly any inquiries, 3 on Experian and 2 each on TU and EQ so if I am denied I wont be apping until the fall anyway.

Just wondering how wise it is to app for another prime card after getting your first prime card one month earlier, and with a relatively young AAoA at 3.6 years, but I do have low util.

Based on your score...I wouldn't worry about it too much. A clean profile and solid score is all the leverage you need. Let these banks compete for your business. The fact you have a Discover card...Chase is more reluctant to give you credit cause they want your business. Since the Discover card is new....you have a couple of options imho. Let the Discover report some history (6months) or pull the gun on the new United Explorer card. In matter of fact..I want that card myself but don't wanna take another hit.

Message 2 of 11
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

I guess I really am missing something. I see a lot of people very fearful of their credit card companies seeing an inquiry for another company, almost to the point of it seeming like they are married and thinking of dating someone on the side.

I don't understand this - it's a "free market" system and you are the customer here. You have the right to choose to do business or not to do business with companies as you see fit. I realize they also can choose to serve you or not serve you as they see fit, but I don't understand all the fear of what company A might think if they see an inquiry for company B. If one of my CCCs did that, and decided to close my account, my feeling would be "see ya don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out". I dunno maybe I'm weird and I don't get what should be very obvious?

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just used the last 2 pulls from my Suze Orman FICO kit and my Transunion is the same at 768 but my EQ is down to 715 and the only difference between the two is the INQ for my Discover card is on EQ.

Not sure about Experian of course but it should be similar to my TU.

Hmm Since I am planning on gardening for 6 months if I am denied, and gardening indefinitely if I am approved I think I am going to take the bait on the Chase United explorer card. Worst case I am denied and garden for 6 months. Nothing too bad should happen with the discover card I already have. It is just that I have never done 2 inquiries in a short amount of time before so I am a little nervous.

I really hope chase pulls TU. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

I guess I really am missing something. I see a lot of people very fearful of their credit card companies seeing an inquiry for another company, almost to the point of it seeming like they are married and thinking of dating someone on the side.

I don't understand this - it's a "free market" system and you are the customer here. You have the right to choose to do business or not to do business with companies as you see fit. I realize they also can choose to serve you or not serve you as they see fit, but I don't understand all the fear of what company A might think if they see an inquiry for company B. If one of my CCCs did that, and decided to close my account, my feeling would be "see ya don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out". I dunno maybe I'm weird and I don't get what should be very obvious?

I Have been very fearful of this myself lately as, since November I've added Amex, Barclay, discover, and most recently, chase sapphire preferred. Knock on wood, I've yet to have any trouble. I think the most important part is that when they soft you, which they will, they don't see any crazy behavior. IE maxing out a few cards... To this point I've used all of my cards but made sure to pay off the balance each month. My scores have also gone up not down since november which may have helped. As for right now, if I lost Barclays I wouldn't care much... When chase approved me they knew what my cr looked like. And Amex gets pif monthly. Just be responsible and my hunch is they won't bother you.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just used the last 2 pulls from my Suze Orman FICO kit and my Transunion is the same at 768 but my EQ is down to 715 and the only difference between the two is the INQ for my Discover card is on EQ.

Not sure about Experian of course but it should be similar to my TU.

Hmm Since I am planning on gardening for 6 months if I am denied, and gardening indefinitely if I am approved I think I am going to take the bait on the Chase United explorer card. Worst case I am denied and garden for 6 months. Nothing too bad should happen with the discover card I already have. It is just that I have never done 2 inquiries in a short amount of time before so I am a little nervous.

I really hope chase pulls TU. Smiley Happy

Chase pulled TU only for me... But I live in Michigan.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy cow! Instant approval!

So I logged into my mileage plus account and clicked on the link for 60,000 bonus miles (well 50,000 in my case as I will never reach 25,000 annual spending at least anytime soon) filled out the application and got an instant approval.

Amazing. Looks like I am gardening for as long as I can see into the future as I have all the cards I want. Smiley Happy

Only thing I am curious about is the card is a Visa signature, but they said in the application if you don't qualify for the signature you will automatically be considered for the visa platinum. I wonder which one I got? If I got an instant approval pretty quickly from the application I am assuming that is a Visa signature.

Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover loves its customers... I've never had a CLD even after my ex husbands truck that I was a co signer on got repoed at one point my credit score was 399, yes that's real Smiley Sad.    I've had my card since 1999, its my oldest account, and I'm always going to keep it.

Discover will not harm you if you don't harm them, they are good people to keep in your pocket or wallet or purse, or glove box, or underwear drawer for emergencies.... you get the idea... 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

What is your CL on the Visa?  Congrats on approval!!!

Do you know how to tell if your card is Platinum, Signature, Preferred, or other status?

I got approved for the Amazon.com Visa, but I don't know if its Platinum, Signature, or what ever it is... who knows.   I put platinum in my siggy because during one recon, the lady was reviewing info and she said I had applied for the Amazon.com visa platinum.  I got a 5k limit

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Might be wise to garden your new account for 6 months then try.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.