cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it the Bank or Partner that sends out targeted offers?

tag
vpae
Established Contributor

Is it the Bank or Partner that sends out targeted offers?

I wasn't haven't much luck searching for this answer so here goes.

I know that targeted offers are not the same as Pre Approved/Qualified offers. A lot of times I am signed up as a part of a rewards or loyalty program when I get these letters/emails. Who is the one sending out these targeted offers? The Bank or the Partner? My question is probably easier if I provided an example.

Let's say I'm a Southwest RR member and a SPG member. I get an email from Southwest RR or SPG with a targeted off that says a larger signup bonus or less spend compared to the public offer on their site. Does Chase or Amex do a SP and "pre-qualify" me before these offers are sent? Or does Southwest RR and SPG just blanket mass-email all their members that do not currnetly have their credit card and hope that they will apply and qualify without checking with the bank first?

I hope I'm making sense. The reason I ask is that I have just been approve for an Amex in June and another Amex in Aug (few weeks ago) and then SPG sends me an email me with a targeted off. Do they even know or care that I just got an Amex recently and can't apply for another yet?

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Is it the Bank or Partner that sends out targeted offers?

@vpae wrote:

I know that targeted offers are not the same as Pre Approved/Qualified offers. A lot of times I am signed up as a part of a rewards or loyalty program when I get these letters/emails. Who is the one sending out these targeted offers? The Bank or the Partner? My question is probably easier if I provided an example.

Let's say I'm a Southwest RR member and a SPG member. I get an email from Southwest RR or SPG with a targeted off that says a larger signup bonus or less spend compared to the public offer on their site. Does Chase or Amex do a SP and "pre-qualify" me before these offers are sent? Or does Southwest RR and SPG just blanket mass-email all their members that do not currnetly have their credit card and hope that they will apply and qualify without checking with the bank first?

I hope I'm making sense. The reason I ask is that I have just been approve for an Amex in June and another Amex in Aug (few weeks ago) and then SPG sends me an email me with a targeted off. Do they even know or care that I just got an Amex recently and can't apply for another yet?

I think marketing deparment just throws out offers to whomever qualifies it doesn't matter if you have card or not. I recently just got pre approval for CSP, which i already have. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 10
vpae
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

I think marketing deparment just throws out offers to whomever qualifies it doesn't matter if you have card or not. I recently just got pre approval for CSP, which i already have. 

that's interesting, since that's not even a partner card. So you are referring to the market department from the bank. Originally I was thinking the marketing department of the partner. So if you were to apply for a second CSP (no reason to, but if you did), I wonder if you would get approved since you were pre approved?

But in the partnership examples, I wonder which marketing department, bank or partner, that handles that?

Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 3 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

From my own experience with Amex I would assume it comes from SPG.  Why? Amex has me in only for their Business card and agressivly get me very nice offers and all I can do is ignore them as I do not qualify.  I do not own a business. Even tried  to get me off their "Business marketing"  list but no chance. Never an offer for personal cards but millions for Business. The SPG offers are for personal cards and that is why I would think it came from SPG.. but of course that is just a guess.

Message 4 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

that's interesting, since that's not even a partner card. So you are referring to the market department from the bank. Originally I was thinking the marketing department of the partner. So if you were to apply for a second CSP (no reason to, but if you did), I wonder if you would get approved since you were pre approved?

But in the partnership examples, I wonder which marketing department, bank or partner, that handles that?

I wasn't going to risk it , i don't know if pre approvals are 100% , and especially since in chase T&C they clearly state 24 months since last bonus. I would hate to waste an HP to get nothing lol 

Message 5 of 10
vpae
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

From my own experience with Amex I would assume it comes from SPG.  Why? Amex has me in only for their Business card and agressivly get me very nice offers and all I can do is ignore them as I do not qualify.  I do not own a business. Even tried  to get me off their "Business marketing"  list but no chance. Never an offer for personal cards but millions for Business. The SPG offers are for personal cards and that is why I would think it came from SPG.. but of course that is just a guess.

That makes sense. I get a LOT of pre-approved business offers from Amex too, in the mail, email, and online when i'm on the site. Gold PRG, Platinum, Plum, etc. Maybe one day! 

Message 6 of 10
vpae
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

I wasn't going to risk it , i don't know if pre approvals are 100% , and especially since in chase T&C they clearly state 24 months since last bonus. I would hate to waste an HP to get nothing lol 

hah, yeah, I agree on that HP. But it would be pretty cool to get another sign up bonus with AF waived the first year! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

hah, yeah, I agree on that HP. But it would be pretty cool to get another sign up bonus with AF waived the first year! Smiley Happy

als they double pulled me I wasn't too thrilled about that. I wish amex would throw me an bone for that targetted 50k offer. 

Message 8 of 10
vpae
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

als they double pulled me I wasn't too thrilled about that. I wish amex would throw me an bone for that targetted 50k offer. 

I'm pretty sure it's because I've burned Chase in the past. Chase has double pulled me for all 3 cards I have with them... it sucks that they have so many good cards!

CSP they pulled EX/EQ, Freedom within a few days later they pulled EX/TU, then just recently, I apped for the Hyatt and they pulled EX/EQ again. I wonder if the next one will be EX/TU lol

I was clueless last year when I got my PRG and it wasn't a targeted 50Kkp ts offer, just the public 25k my fiance did get one this year and I had her sign up. I settled for the MBenz Plat for their 50k instead of the 40k public offer. I don't think I'll ever get to see a 100k offer. She also got a targeted EveryDay for 25kpts which she got. I did a cold app only for 10kpts.

Not sure what it is, they don't like me and I've been a member longer than she has!

Message 9 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@vpae wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's because I've burned Chase in the past. Chase has double pulled me for all 3 cards I have with them... it sucks that they have so many good cards!

CSP they pulled EX/EQ, Freedom within a few days later they pulled EX/TU, then just recently, I apped for the Hyatt and they pulled EX/EQ again. I wonder if the next one will be EX/TU lol

I was clueless last year when I got my PRG and it wasn't a targeted 50Kkp ts offer, just the public 25k my fiance did get one this year and I had her sign up. I settled for the MBenz Plat for their 50k instead of the 40k public offer. I don't think I'll ever get to see a 100k offer. She also got a targeted EveryDay for 25kpts which she got. I did a cold app only for 10kpts.

Not sure what it is, they don't like me and I've been a member longer than she has!

i think i got single pulled for freedom, and doubled for CSP. I want to be careful with amex since its one signup bonus per lifetime so want to make sure i get best offer available. Your gfg gets the best offers :-( i get garbage offers from amex what do they want to see. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.