Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to cancel my Secured Card?

tag
NewBreed
New Contributor

Is it time to cancel my Secured Card?

Hey guys,

I think its time to cancel my oldest credit card of about 2 years (which is my highest limit of 3000 as well). My secured card has done its job and i want all the money i fronted for the deposit which is probably around 2600. I understand it is my oldest account and it may effect my AAoA however i have everything i need now. I have an AmEx with NPSL.. i have another Cap 1 with about 1500 limit.. I have Chase Freedom with 2000 limit... Chase Slate with 2000 limit and last but not least Discover IT with 1000 limit... ill be canceling my highest limit card but I just dont see the need to have them keep holding onto my deposit when im approved for this spectacular card ranges. I dont need another card in my pocket.

What do u guys think... There is an annual fee but it isnt due until later this year. 

Cap One Cash Back UnSecured: 1.5K
Chase Freedom: 2k
Chase Slate: 2k
Discover IT: 1K.
AmEx Green: NPSL
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Is it time to cancel my Secured Card?

@NewBreed wrote:

Hey guys,

I think its time to cancel my oldest credit card of about 2 years (which is my highest limit of 3000 as well). My secured card has done its job and i want all the money i fronted for the deposit which is probably around 2600. I understand it is my oldest account and it may effect my AAoA however i have everything i need now. I have an AmEx with NPSL.. i have another Cap 1 with about 1500 limit.. I have Chase Freedom with 2000 limit... Chase Slate with 2000 limit and last but not least Discover IT with 1000 limit... ill be canceling my highest limit card but I just dont see the need to have them keep holding onto my deposit when im approved for this spectacular card ranges. I dont need another card in my pocket.

What do u guys think... There is an annual fee but it isnt due until later this year. 

You have come a long way I guess it is that time to close since it has a AF

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
YahComb
Established Contributor

i think its about time. your AAoA won't be immediately affected, the biggest issue for you is losing your biggest credit line, worth about 1/3 of your overall total credit line.

But then again it is real money thats holding that up, and you can always pay things down before they report to keep utilization low, or keep a good chunk of spending on the AMEX.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 3 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

If a secured card has remained this way for 2 years despite perfect payment history, chances are it will never graduate. Give it the ax! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
NewBreed
New Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

i think its about time. your AAoA won't be immediately affected, the biggest issue for you is losing your biggest credit line, worth about 1/3 of your overall total credit line.

But then again it is real money thats holding that up, and you can always pay things down before they report to keep utilization low, or keep a good chunk of spending on the AMEX.

Well i do spend a lot on my AMEX.... I always keep util low though.... every month all my cards report a 1 dollar balance LOL i pay it down but just leave a dollar to report... its great.. im not sure how much it is effecting my credit in a positive way though.... but i think its time to pull the trigger on this card i have no use for.

Cap One Cash Back UnSecured: 1.5K
Chase Freedom: 2k
Chase Slate: 2k
Discover IT: 1K.
AmEx Green: NPSL
Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

NewBreed its time to update your sigSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@NewBreed wrote:

@YahComb wrote:

Well i do spend a lot on my AMEX.... I always keep util low though.... every month all my cards report a 1 dollar balance LOL i pay it down but just leave a dollar to report... its great.. im not sure how much it is effecting my credit in a positive way though.... but i think its time to pull the trigger on this card i have no use for.

Newbreed,

No one can give you any real advice without significantly more info than you have currently given.

We could use your current FICO score, utilization %, and other credit details.

Also, we could use the list of current cards, limits, balances.

With this info, we can give some considered advice.  Otherwise we are just guessing.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.