Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

tag
lawless05
New Contributor

Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

So at the start of my rebulit i had a CAP ONE card with 750 limit(6 year old account) and in FEB 2012 i got a USAA secured card with 750 limit. After a almost a year in the garden i have apply and got approved for the following cards all in the same month JAN2013:

BoA Travel Rewards 1500CL

Chase Sapphire 5000CL

Chase Freedom 1000CL for BT from CAP ONE

Navy Fed Cash Reward 5000CL

Now i feel that i can drop my sub-prime card and start to help my wife rebuit with the funds from my secured card to get her a secured card that will graduate. Is this a wise lookout or should i move on from my USAA that will never graduate and CAP ONE card? Try for a PC on the CAP ONE? HELP

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

Congtrats on your credit journey! Call Cap One and see if they would give you a CLI or PC, I have heard many success stories with Cap One lately on here.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You might push Cap 1 for a PC to the Cash Rewards card, and a CLI to 3k...

I would close USAA as long as you are 100% positive that it will never unsecure

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

I'm 100% that the USAA will never be unsecured i called this weekend to triple check. Im scared to try a PC with CAP ONE now that i have 4 IQR on my EX report. and i have been reading that they like to pull all 3! im suppose to be in the garden anyways now so i might just wait till SEP. depending on if its a HP which i'm sure that it is. 

Message 4 of 28
chnceit
Valued Contributor

You would just need to call Cap One and ask if your account is eligible. It usually doenst involve a HP

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 28
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

callbackdoor number it's can be done without HP

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@chnceit wrote:

You would just need to call Cap One and ask if your account is eligible. It usually doenst involve a HP

+1. I just did a PC with Cap1 and there was no HP.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would contact Capital One via the President E-mail... Private me and I can provide.

Tell them you have been with them long time and they have now become Sub-Prime in your current bank/cards profile.  You want an upgrade to the new Cash Card which is 1% with 50% bonus on what you earned during the year.  You will also need a Credit Line Increase to $10k and you want this done with no HP (Which they already know.)  They will call VERY quickly and they will ask permission to do a credit inq (SP and they can confirm SP) they will ask about income and go over what you ask for and then ask if they can't meet the Credit Line requested amount would you take less and just answer yes.  they will call back usually within hours if not within 24 hours usually....

My partner got interest rate from 17.99 down to 13.49% apparently what it was years ago when he got it. Then upgraded to the new cash with the 50% bonus (Venture was offered but it's really not that great especially for us... I want CASH!) and then finally he asked for $25k to match Navy and they came back with $15k which falls in line with Amex and Wells Fargo Credit Line...

Message 8 of 28
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Worst case you can exec office your Cap1 and get a CLI with cash rewards added.  Externally it will still be a platinum card, but internally it will look like a cash rewards card.  It doesn't create a new tradeline, and no HP.  You'd have no problem getting $3k+.  I got $2k with questionable credit history and no other card over 1k.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 9 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

Thanks for all the advise I'm going to give this CP with cap one a shot. And yes credit addict please pm the email!
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.