cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

tag
lawless05
New Contributor

Re: Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

I'll u all posted on my results
Message 11 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

I just called twice. The first time to see about a PC denied! Then to possible see if they could lower my Apr or give me a CLI both denied. I hate capital one anyways but if someone PMs me the emailSmiley Happy I'll give that a go else when I get my new slate card this company is dead to me.
Message 12 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

Ok so this is the letter i sent to the CEO email last night. I have yet to get a reply. Was i too nice or should have included more detail on my account? 

I have had my card with your company for almost 7 years with the same limit of 750. I have asked for increases of limit and been denied at every turn. I have asked for a decrease in APR(currently at 22%) and been denied plus I still have to pay annual fees. When you look at my account you see a lot of activity but i'm alway close to my max credit line but have never been late. I have greatly improved my credit profile since getting this card and think that i should be able to get something in return for being a great customer. I was about to close the card out when a friend told me to email the company and see what i get in return. I hope to keep doing business with Capital One but i feel if this is not fix in some way I will move on to other companies that currently giving me higher limits and lower ARP. Thank you for you time looking into the matter.

Thanks for any feedback.
Message 13 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lawless05 wrote:

Ok so this is the letter i sent to the CEO email last night. I have yet to get a reply. Was i too nice or should have included more detail on my account? 

I have had my card with your company for almost 7 years with the same limit of 750. I have asked for increases of limit and been denied at every turn. I have asked for a decrease in APR(currently at 22%) and been denied plus I still have to pay annual fees. When you look at my account you see a lot of activity but i'm alway close to my max credit line but have never been late. I have greatly improved my credit profile since getting this card and think that i should be able to get something in return for being a great customer. I was about to close the card out when a friend told me to email the company and see what i get in return. I hope to keep doing business with Capital One but i feel if this is not fix in some way I will move on to other companies that currently giving me higher limits and lower ARP. Thank you for you time looking into the matter.

Thanks for any feedback.

Be Prepared to respond to what limit you want, rewards you want (airline or cash basically) and possible interest.

Ask for at least matching of your highest limit if not more, they will counter.

Message 14 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@lawless05 wrote:

Thanks for any feedback.

I think that is fine, certainly don't worry about being too nice, there is no point in being aggressive with these people.  As always, you need to consider the company perspective.  How much of a loss is it to lose you?  Unfortunately, probably not much at all (given your $750 limit, you couldn't have been spending enough money for them to really care) so just state your case as you have done.   Good luck

Message 15 of 28
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Call them, threaten to close the card...if they close it immediately, you'll know you never had a chance.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 16 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

Call them, threaten to close the card...if they close it immediately, you'll know you never had a chance.  

If you call a front-line CSR, and threaten to close, I think they almost always will close (no time, no concern) whereas the exec office MIGHT try harder to accomodate.  I.E. the reaction of the CSR is no indication of what could happen with EO, but if you call the CSR first, it will be too late!

Message 17 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@lawless05 wrote:

Thanks for any feedback.

I think that is fine, certainly don't worry about being too nice, there is no point in being aggressive with these people.  As always, you need to consider the company perspective.  How much of a loss is it to lose you?  Unfortunately, probably not much at all (given your $750 limit, you couldn't have been spending enough money for them to really care) so just state your case as you have done.   Good luck

and also post from: @visorboy1974 wrote:

bs6054 I see that you have a $30k limit and a $15k limit with Capital One so clearly you have never been a Sub-Prime customer with Capital One and have a different perspective on Capital One.  I know dozens (literally dozens of friends and associates that have had Capital One since they were 18... One friend I have talked about a lot on here because of what I find in process of talking to him and then helping him look into his credit worth elsewhere.... so here it is quick.... 28 Years old, Capital One card with $500 limit since he was 18.  ONLY other credit card he had was Bloomingdales and that was about $5k range (never really requested)  Also at time of meeting him he was at about $70k, his Fico (I was there upon pull were both over 800 and Cap1 never CLI... he then proceeded to move up in company from 70 to 90 to 120k and then go instant approval for citi and amex and quickly had over $10k lines on those 2 companies.

now more on your size, my parents have had personal capital one cards and business capital one cards and never knew subprime either... but making statements that witha  $750 limit and your usage and credit probably are to blame for not getting increases and not getting crazy requesting things from capital one... They do all CSR stuff overseas and have NO one in those call centers that can actually do ANYTHING regarding CLI's... it's all computer... this opening up in president office has only been really working for past 4-6 months I would say... it has changed everything for many of us on here...

and the other of threaten to close... you are dealing with folks overseas who don't care, don't know what you are talking about, and don't have any computer authority to do otherwise.

this email is the only way.

Message 18 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

Thanks for all the support and I'll take the GOOD advise lol. Waiting is hard when other are saying they got a call in 24 hours. 

Message 19 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@lawless05 wrote:

Thanks for any feedback.

and also post from: @visorboy1974 wrote:

bs6054 I see that you have a $30k limit and a $15k limit with Capital One so clearly you have never been a Sub-Prime customer with Capital One and have a different perspective on Capital One.  I know dozens (literally dozens of friends and associates that have had Capital One since they were 18... One friend I have talked about a lot on here because of what I find in process of talking to him and then helping him look into his credit worth elsewhere.... so here it is quick.... 28 Years old, Capital One card with $500 limit since he was 18.  ONLY other credit card he had was Bloomingdales and that was about $5k range (never really requested)  Also at time of meeting him he was at about $70k, his Fico (I was there upon pull were both over 800 and Cap1 never CLI... he then proceeded to move up in company from 70 to 90 to 120k and then go instant approval for citi and amex and quickly had over $10k lines on those 2 companies.

now more on your size, my parents have had personal capital one cards and business capital one cards and never knew subprime either... but making statements that witha  $750 limit and your usage and credit probably are to blame for not getting increases and not getting crazy requesting things from capital one... They do all CSR stuff overseas and have NO one in those call centers that can actually do ANYTHING regarding CLI's... it's all computer... this opening up in president office has only been really working for past 4-6 months I would say... it has changed everything for many of us on here...

and the other of threaten to close... you are dealing with folks overseas who don't care, don't know what you are talking about, and don't have any computer authority to do otherwise.

this email is the only way.

I think you are misunderstanding what I was saying. I completely agree that contacting the exec office seems to be the only way to get things done, I recently did that to get my rewards updated, after repeatedly hearing "Sorry, we can't do that" from the frontline CSRs.  If you look at my post, I was saying that the text was fine (first sentence), and he shouldn't worry about it not being rude, because being rude won't help.   I didn't say that it was his usage that was preventing getting CLIs, with a low CL, you really can't push huge sums through.  My point was because of that, which is Cap One's fault anyway, being more aggressive won't help, because he isn't going to appear to be a super-valuable customer who they will bend over backwards not to lose.  Being rude is more likely to make them say, "No".  So I was supporting the email..

And I also  fully agree that threatening with front line CSRs is pointless, as I posted in an additional post earlier!

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.