cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

tag
AJ48
Established Member

Re: Is it time to drop my sub-prime cards?

Hi, 

I started rebuiding in Feb. 2012. Also beginning with a USAA secured card as well as Cap 1. In November USAA approved me for rewards platinum Visa and rewards MC. I just wanted to encourage you to app with USAA - I don't know if you're a full member or not but according to what I've read here, it helps. Just sharing a bit of my experience. Good luck!

Message 21 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

Yes I'm a full member but I wish my current card could be graduated to a regular card without applying for a new one. I love USAA but this is one thing I hate about them. But I'll be out of the garden soon enough for more applications.  Did you close your secured card and if so  how much did they charge you? they was talking about 180 day of interest dont how much that will be but i want the money for my wife a new card.

Message 22 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

I just got my call!!!! She said that they are going to look into my file and see if they give me an increase, remove monthly fee, and lower my ARP. I didn't ask for 5000 like I should have but anything(2500 lowest) without a monthly fee and low APR is good to me since it my oldest card.

Message 23 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

So today i logged into my Capital one account and found that i have a CLI of 1000----->1750CL now. This is just not enough to keep this card. While i was waiting for Crap1 to call with the details of my request i got approved for a Discover IT card with a 6,000 limit. I dont know if i'm crazy or not but i've been with Crap on for 7 years and this is all they can offer me they FAIL Major. It was worth a try. i cant wait for the call from them on this Thursday telling the offer and me replying with CANCEL the card it has 0 balance.

Message 24 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@lawless05 wrote:

So today i logged into my Capital one account and found that i have a CLI of 1000----->1750CL now. This is just not enough to keep this card. While i was waiting for Crap1 to call with the details of my request i got approved for a Discover IT card with a 6,000 limit. I dont know if i'm crazy or not but i've been with Crap on for 7 years and this is all they can offer me they FAIL Major. It was worth a try. i cant wait for the call from them on this Thursday telling the offer and me replying with CANCEL the card it has 0 balance.

They may go back and try again...possibly give you a better offer. I would also say just go ahead and cancel it. I hate crap1, nobody should have to go through al of this to get a simple account change that should happen on its own over 7 years. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 25 of 28
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@lawless05 wrote:

Yup...cancel it...a measly $1000 increase isn't worth the trouble.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 26 of 28
ninjamike81
Regular Contributor

if they drop the annual fee I would not close it.  just sock drawer it.  it still helps with util and aaoa.   just my .02

Starting Score: TU 583, EX 683, EQ 653
Current Score: 10/12/14 TU 743 9/24/2014 EQ FICO 751,12/17/2014 EXPERIAN 772
Goal Score: 750

WALLET: CAP ONE UNSEC $2000, WALMART $3800, CITI SIMPLICITY $3600, DISCOVER IT $2000, BBRZ $2200, AMEX BCE $24,500, CHASE FREEDOM 10,500 KAWASAKI GOOD TIMES CARD $31,500
Message 27 of 28
lawless05
New Contributor

Yea they just called to tell me they got my an extra 1000 and the monthly fee waived but I have to wait 2-3 more days to see if they will drop my APR which is currently 22%. But when I told her this is weak she offered the 1%month cash back and 50% annual  cash back add on with no PC. So that equals this card is dead. So it will stay active another 3 years in my sock drawer only cause I just got all my new card this JAN. Thanks for the feed back.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.