Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to prune and garden?

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it time to prune and garden?

Pay off and close all cards that have AF.

Garden for a year

Message 11 of 14
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Credit union dom 1750 limit 18% 14 years old no af
Merrick bank $550 17% no af. Doubles to $1100 soon.
Credit one $700 16% $39 af
Cerulean MasterCard $750 $10 per month af.
PayPal extras mc $5,000 27% no af
Amex ed $1,000 no af. Currently 0%
Amex bce $1,000 no af. Currently 0%
Walmart store card. $3,200 no af.
Pnc cash builder $5,000 no af. 22%
Nfcu sig cash $24,000 11.4%

From my point of view I would close the above accounts due to being predatory.

Next up would be hitting up your CU that's 14 years old for a CLI and an APR reduction since you should really be around 6-10% on that with that sort of age.

Hilton..... I would just hold off on it until you can bring up your AMEX CL's.  I would pick one of them and move the 1K over to the one you want to keep and be vigilent on hitting the 3X CLI schedule to boost them up over 10K before considering another AMEX.

Ping CS for the WM card and ask for 25K on it and see what they counter at.  The more cards you have with higher limits the better chances of moving up the ladder quicker when you get to the point of being able to add another card to the mix.

I would also NOT APPLY for anything else until these have all aged at least a year if not 2 years.  There's no rush in this game called credit.  With your NFCU at 24K you should be able to leverage your other account CL's upwards w/o much effort other than not adding more accounts, letting time pass, and being persistent with asking them for CLI's on a shedule.

Message 12 of 14
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

The credit union is conservative. Everything is a hp with them.
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 13 of 14
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

99.99% of CU's are a HP for pretty much everything they offer.

Get over the hurdle of the HP issue and ask them for a CLI and APR reduction.  

I have 4 different CU accounts and they all pretty much started out where you're at right now still 14 years later.

I opened one and it started out at 5K.  I then decided I needed something with MC on it and got another one from them for 10K.  APR at the time was 11.9 or somewhere around there.  They provide a sliding scale on APR as your score goes up.  So, a year or so I decided to combine them into a 15K card and tried my luck on the APR and got it dropped down to 6.9%.  

Another CU opened at 10K and 9.9%.  Gave me an auto CLI for $1K after the first year and then a couple of years later when I felt like it was time for them to make a move I asked for the CLI and they bumped it to 29K.

So, now that you have NFCU @ 24K and some rediculous low rate it makes sense to just ask for better terms and more spending power instead of killing your scores with all of the apps that will drop you from a Tier 2 to a Tier 4 in a matter of a couple of apps and then have to sit on the bench for a couple of years before getting back to where you started.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.