Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time?

tag
northface28
Established Contributor

Is it time?

I'm 26 months out from discharge of a BK7, my first card to rebuild was a Cap1 secured card $49 deposit for $200 CL, its "grown" to $300 over time, but its saddled with a $29 AF.

I've since acquired :

Cap1 Venture Card-$5k CL
Barclays Rewards MC- $2k CL
Barclays Extra Points- $2k CL

Should I ditch the secured card now? Or keep it in the sock drawer until the AF approaches? I never use it.
BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is it time?

Welcome to the forum. You've done an excellent job rebuilding your credit. I would suggest closing the cc before the AF is due. It's served its purpose; time to move on.
Message 2 of 7
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You should pay it off and close it the month the annual fee is posted.  If you close it within the month that the AF posts then they will refund the AF!  By doing this you will get an extra month of reporting!  I closed an account with Capital One the month the AF posted and they did reverse the AF!  I asked them to remove the AF and they flat out refused.  On my other account with them I asked for the same thing, they waived the AF for that year and I later got the AF removed through the EO.  If you wait and do it in the month of the fee you might be able to get the EO to PC the account into either an unsecured card or remove the AF entirely.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

You should pay it off and close it the month the annual fee is posted.  If you close it within the month that the AF posts then they will refund the AF!  By doing this you will get an extra month of reporting!  I closed an account with Capital One the month the AF posted and they did reverse the AF!  I asked them to remove the AF and they flat out refused.  On my other account with them I asked for the same thing, they waived the AF for that year and I later got the AF removed through the EO.  If you wait and do it in the month of the fee you might be able to get the EO to PC the account into either an unsecured card or remove the AF entirely.

+1 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

Ditch the secured card. The annual fee could be better spent elsewhere

Message 5 of 7
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

just for the record when i called EO @ Cap One they said there is nothing they can do about the secured card, whether it be af, interest, or refunding dep shy of closing account.

Message 6 of 7
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

northface28 wrote:
I'm 26 months out from discharge of a BK7, my first card to rebuild was a Cap1 secured card $49 deposit for $200 CL, its "grown" to $300 over time, but its saddled with a $29 AF.

I've since acquired :
Cap1 Venture Card-$5k CL
Barclays Rewards MC- $2k CL
Barclays Extra Points- $2k CL

Should I ditch the secured card now? Or keep it in the sock drawer until the AF approaches? I never use it.

You can also call Cap 1 and ask if they can waive the anual fee (if you want to keep that card longer)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.