cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it too early to product change: Amex BCE to BCP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it too early to product change: Amex BCE to BCP?

Has anyone had any experience doing a product change from BCE to BCP? I was approved for BCE last week (don't know the limit yet because I have not called and have not gotten the card yet) but I really started thinking that the BCP would be better for me than the BCE. I got the PRG card with the intent to use it like I did my Zync (ran everything that I could through it). But, in all honesty, I really think the cash back is better for me (currently) than the reward points. I will keep the PRG open because it has no AF for a year, but I would really much rather use the BCP. I can justify the BCP AF over the BCE, because I at least spend $150 per week on groceries (so $468 cash back per year rather $234 with the BCE).  Right now, I am using the Freedom card for gas and groceries with the 5% back, but when that is over, I am back down to 3% cash back with the BCE (or 3% reward points). So, is it too early to request a product change? Is the BCP any more difficult to get than the BCP?

BTW, my Experian fico is 687. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Is it too early to product change: Amex BCE to BCP?

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had any experience doing a product change from BCE to BCP? I was approved for BCE last week (don't know the limit yet because I have not called and have not gotten the card yet) but I really started thinking that the BCP would be better for me than the BCE. I got the PRG card with the intent to use it like I did my Zync (ran everything that I could through it). But, in all honesty, I really think the cash back is better for me (currently) than the reward points. I will keep the PRG open because it has no AF for a year, but I would really much rather use the BCP. I can justify the BCP AF over the BCE, because I at least spend $150 per week on groceries (so $468 cash back per year rather $234 with the BCE).  Right now, I am using the Freedom card for gas and groceries with the 5% back, but when that is over, I am back down to 3% cash back with the BCE (or 3% reward points). So, is it too early to request a product change? Is the BCP any more difficult to get than the BCP?

BTW, my Experian fico is 687. 

Both cards have the same approval criteria, call them

AmEx:  800-567-1083

Hopefully they can help!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX does not allow PC into higher AF card within first year due to CARD Act.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will not be able to product change from the BCE to the BCP for atleast 12 months.  This is not due to some Amex policy, but some new law (CARD Act maybe) passed a few years ago that does not allow lenders to raise fees on accounts for the first year.  It's unfortunate, but if you want the BCP you will either have to wait or submit a new app.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhh crap oh well.... I guess I will use the PRG for a while and then product change in a year. I submitted 2 Amex apps already this month I won't be going for a third... Thanks for the help. The CARD act is stupid because I WANT the change to happen. I can understand a company initiating the change, but if I want the change initiated I should be allowed to. Gov't needs to take a step back a little and let the consumer do as they please, especially if it is putting more cash in my pocket!!!!

Message 5 of 19
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

You can have both BCE and BCP at the same time. Not sure your fico scores are good enough to app for BCP, but you can try its only a SP if it fails. If you are approved you call and talk to a credit analyst and see if he can transfer your balance and possibly your credit limit from bce to bcp,   Then close the BCE. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

You can have both BCE and BCP at the same time. Not sure your fico scores are good enough to app for BCP, but you can try its only a SP if it fails. If you are approved you call and talk to a credit analyst and see if he can transfer your balance and possibly your credit limit from bce to bcp,   Then close the BCE. 

The other guy was saying that the criteria is the same. Either way, I don't want to add another HP to my report (I already have 2 from Amex this month). I think a third will probably be excessive. I'll give it a year (or 6 months if I get impatient) and either wait it out or app in 6 months. Thanks for all the responses though!

Message 7 of 19
LilNYC
New Contributor

Since you haven't even received the card yet & it hasn't been activated maybe there's a way yo get around the CARD Act. It's worth a phone call to Amex to find out. 

Also, as a side note Freedom bonus category this quarter is restaurants not groceries.

Where did you get your EX score from? I feel like perhaps it's a Fako since 687 seems low for BCE approval.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LilNYC wrote:

Since you haven't even received the card yet & it hasn't been activated maybe there's a way yo get around the CARD Act. It's worth a phone call to Amex to find out. 

Also, as a side note Freedom bonus category this quarter is restaurants not groceries.

Where did you get your EX score from? I feel like perhaps it's a Fako since 687 seems low for BCE approval.

You're right, restaurants and gas... forgot. Oh well. Even more of a reason to change ASAP haha. When the card comes in, and before I activate it, I will give them a call to see if it is possible. When I do, I will let you know how it goes.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called before I activated and could not PC before activation. Mentioned that I app'd for BCE, and not BCP so going to BCP despite activation is a product change because the account was already created for BCE from the application. No biggie cause Amex LOVES me and gave me a starting CL of $7,500!!!! So I can hopefully up that to 22,500 in 61 days which will definitely help on my utilization from my student loans and give me a score boooooost! =) =) =)

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.