cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it too late to get into the points game?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Is it too late to get into the points game?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

my opinion is you really have to look ahead an know if there is some place in particular you want to go, and then you can work with ccc signup bonuses to achieve that goal. I just recently cashed in some of my aa points i got from US airways and citi aa card. Got me nice flight for me and my mom from BKK-JFK on cathay business.

You just need to be really flexible and look ahead. If thats not your thing then there are some great cash back cards out there. Citi DC, SM, etc. 

Maybe if you look way ahead. I have found with the way CX releases award space you need to be on the lookout very near the travel date and its hit or miss. Becomes harder the more people you want to book for. One person may be able to get an award, but if your booking for three it becomes much tougher to keep everytone together. Business is easier to pull than First though. 

yeah original plan was for next spring but found some availability in october so i pulled the trigger. CX is planning on cutting down availablity for first in general to OW partners and Alaska Air from what i hear. I think i will be able to slum it in business though :-) 

Do you know when CX is making this change? I may have to go to China this month then if I can avoid the changes since I have enough AA miles for RT in first. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

my opinion is you really have to look ahead an know if there is some place in particular you want to go, and then you can work with ccc signup bonuses to achieve that goal. I just recently cashed in some of my aa points i got from US airways and citi aa card. Got me nice flight for me and my mom from BKK-JFK on cathay business.

You just need to be really flexible and look ahead. If thats not your thing then there are some great cash back cards out there. Citi DC, SM, etc. 

Maybe if you look way ahead. I have found with the way CX releases award space you need to be on the lookout very near the travel date and its hit or miss. Becomes harder the more people you want to book for. One person may be able to get an award, but if your booking for three it becomes much tougher to keep everytone together. Business is easier to pull than First though. 

yeah original plan was for next spring but found some availability in october so i pulled the trigger. CX is planning on cutting down availablity for first in general to OW partners and Alaska Air from what i hear. I think i will be able to slum it in business though :-) 

Do you know when CX is making this change? I may have to go to China this month then if I can avoid the changes since I have enough AA miles for RT in first. 

not 100% sure when or if it has already. I noticed even 330 days out the amount of first class availability isn't as much as it was before. Used to be pretty easy to find 5 seats in first from JFK-HKG now not so much. I am contemplating using my aviator card as my card for non category spending to see if i can upgrade last second to first if there is availability, but wondering if its worth it or not. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was sort of in your boat a few months ago. Went a couple of years without traveling and now that we have the time and extra money, we are planning a few trips. I looked at some of the hotels, took into consideration what airlineswe flew (when we did travel), and researched cards and went from there. Prior to this, I was strictly all cashback. Between hubby and I, we picked up quite a few travel cards. Some will be staying, some will be going. But before I did anything, I had all my trips planned out and went from there.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my CSP and freedom combo. 

The signup for the CSP is great. 

I just put my $1400 cruise on the CSP and got 2x the points. Also when the freedom gets out of the restaurant 5% category. The CSP will be my main dining card as I gets 2x points as well. 

Plus the CSP also gets you one free movie ticket per month until August I think via visa signature and fandango which is great as well.thats like $60 Smiley Happy

chase has has been the best cc company I've worked with. I'm NOT a big spender at all but love the combo. Now idk about keeping the CSP after the annual fee. Maybe if I go on another cruise or travel next year Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
happypill
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

not 100% sure when or if it has already. I noticed even 330 days out the amount of first class availability isn't as much as it was before. Used to be pretty easy to find 5 seats in first from JFK-HKG now not so much. I am contemplating using my aviator card as my card for non category spending to see if i can upgrade last second to first if there is availability, but wondering if its worth it or not. 

330 days!  I'm lucky if I can book 30 days in advance.  That's why I've had 125K AA points sitting in my account for years.  I try to use them every time I book a vacation, but I've never been able to get good value from the points and always find something better through one of the discount sites or through a direct promotion.  Cash back works best for me.  Points work better for people that can plan way in advance, may like a family with children where you know exactly when the kids are out of school and plan around that.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

everyone's replies were so long so i was too lazy to read them but if you don't care about traveling (overall) stick with cash back. i like to drive instead of fly. maybe look at a hotel card to get hotel stays but not plane tickets.
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG (50,000 MR point sign-up)

Amex EDP (15,000 MR point sign-up)

Category bonuses on both and 50% more points per month with EDP.  

And I just got the Delta Amex (50,000 miles) - plus you have the option of paying with miles+cash to pay for tickets at Delta if you have the Amex.

My home airport is THE Delta hub, though, so the Delta Amex made sense for me.

I also have Discover it and CapOne QuicksilverOne (will PC to regular QS) for cashback I'm saving up for hotel spend for our next big trip.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it sounds like I'll get more bang for my buck with cash back cards for now...until I know of a place to travel. The only reason why I'm kind of itching for a card right now is because of the sign up bonus for the Freedom, but it sounds like that happens pretty regularly in November, so I might wait to pull the trigger then. I was actually thinking of getting a new card in Oct before the holiday season but maybe I should just wait until November and double/triple app.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.