Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it too many AU Cards?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Is it too many AU Cards?

I have been getting AU cards for my 16 year old daughter. She is very responsible so far. Right now she has Amex Gold / Amex Clear / BOA MC / National City Visa / HSBC Discover. 4 Credit Cards and 1 Charge Card. Is it too many cards or should I leave them the way they are?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it too many AU Cards?

Are these cards she actually uses/needs/has access too?  If so, then for that purpose it is neither good nor bad, since you state she is responsible and does not abuse that priviledge.

As for CR, that many AU's is not really doing more than a couple would.  Your oldest couple tradelines is probably all that really is necessary to do the trick:

1.  Establish Oldest Account/Age

2.  Utilization

3.  Opens her credit file (even though if you had waited till 18 then added her, it would do the same thing).

However, since she cannot apply for credit in her own name, whether you add her now, or add her to those same tradelines in 2 years makes not difference.  The benefits of AU will go unrealized until she is 18....so it's kind of like a tree falling in the woods....nobody there to hear it, so does it make a sound?  In the case of her CR....no.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-14-2009 04:41 AM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.