cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true? 2 apps on the same hard pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it true? 2 apps on the same hard pull?

I just got approved for a Citi-branded retail card. If I wanted to try applying for an actual Citi card, is it going to do a soft pull for the second one? Are there any cards that this DOES work for?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Is it true? 2 apps on the same hard pull?

Citi will HP for each product 

As for others YMMV by lender 

Chase probably double pull per app YMMV

Amex best chance but again YMMV 

Welcome to the forum 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Citi will HP for each product 

As for others YMMV by lender 

Chase probably double pull per app YMMV

Amex best chance but again YMMV 

Welcome to the forum 

+1

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 5
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Nope hard pull separately for each one.I think all credit card companies have wished up and tightened the belt on this.Almost 1-2 years ago Cap one/Amex and a few others would but no more.There might still be some but I believe most major big ones changed policy.Only Credit Unions I'll use 1 hp for multiple products and even then this varies from one to another 

Message 4 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@silkysean wrote:

Nope hard pull separately for each one.I think all credit card companies have wished up and tightened the belt on this.Almost 1-2 years ago Cap one/Amex and a few others would but no more.There might still be some but I believe most major big ones changed policy.Only Credit Unions I'll use 1 hp for multiple products and even then this varies from one to another 

The creditor is never the one doing the combining. It is at the bureau level, when the pulls are assumed to be duplicated.

The creditors always do a fresh pull per application. The only difference is how the bureau interprets it (i.e. duplicate or not).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.