Established Member
RavenNation

Is it true Amex Cardholders...

I'm curious to find out about this credit limit increase after 61 days. I want to know is it true that they actually give you 3 times your starting limit? I was approved for the BCE this past weekend with a limit of $8000. So sometime in January I can expect a limit increase of oover $20k? Seems a bit extreme to me. I guess maybe it depends on your income as well as how much you charge monthly to justify it. Can anyone back this up?
Established Contributor
Cadillac-XTS

Re: Is it true Amex Cardholders...

+1

Frequent Contributor
TheConductor

[ Edited ]

It's not guaranteed, but it happens often enough to be regarded as pretty typical.

I think the most important thing to take away is that by AmEx's own estimation it is reasonable to request a 3x increase. And then they may give it to you, or counter-offer a lower amount, or say "wait a bit".

FWIW, when I previously had an AmEx revolver I was unaware of this custom. For my first CLI I asked for 2.5x and ended up getting 2x. As always in the credit world, your mileage may vary.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k
Established Member
RavenNation

Ok so it is pretty possible then. I just don't think I would want to actually ask for $24,000 because I don't need it per say I would jus like to have a larger total credit limit to decrease utilization. What is a financial review because I've seen people bring it up in other forums? And if it it comes out bad what happens?
Frequent Contributor
jd5189

Just to give you an idea, I was at 7,500 and requested the full 3x CLI. Amex countered at 19.2k. So I got about a 2.5x CLI from them.

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.
Established Member
RavenNation

Jeez that's great. I can't wait until my 2 months roll around. I haven't even got my card yet and I'm already looking into the future. Do you have to spend a lot of money on the card per month or is it kind of like a unwritten thing and it doesn't really matter?

Frequent Contributor
jd5189

Some have had experience where it does not matter. Others who have gotten the card and requested 3x CLI and did not spend much have gotten rejected. I personally use Amex as my main card (originally my charge cards) but moved my spend on them over to the BCE to show activity. Typically I put about 1.5k per month through them. Now I use both charge and credit from them just to mix things up a bit.

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.
Established Member
RavenNation

Ok I will try to use it as much as possible to show activity. I used to have the Green card but I canceled it a few months back. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}