cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true? Chase count store cards or no?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Is it true? Chase count store cards or no?

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't been on my fico too much lately and I was in the dark about this whole Chase thing but let me tell my story. I constantly check the Chase pre qual and it's always the "couldn't find an offer" thing. Then in the first week of September, as I was logging out of my Chase checking account it popped up as always and I figured I'd try it again for the 30 or 40th time and lo and behold Freedom and Slate. Went for the Freedom and was approved (with a double pull) for $2000.

This was about the same time I started browsing around here again and AFTER that approval I started seeing this whole Chase rule thing. Well, I've gotten 13 or 14 new tradelines in the last 15 months. An auto loan with Wells Fargo (that Chase denied by the way) 3 Barclay cards and various store cards that I wanted for various reasons. Don't want to get into a debate about that please, just wanted to throw out my scenario to help you guys. I didn't know anything about this "rule" when I got that pre qual but I accepted and the card is on the way with over a dozen new cards opened in the last year or so. Take it for what it's worth.

So for the sake of clarity did you have three regular credit cards in the last 15 months and the rest were store cards? 

Yes. This Freedom will be the 4th "regular" credit card on top of the two capital ones I've had for quite awhile. 

Hmm so that is a potential datapoint that store cards don't count. I've heard people claim store cards didn't count for them before as well. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Its off my report now because I closed it a long time ago but it did say something like sync/Banana republic. In any event it is clearly a store card and they could tell it is because the store name is in the name of the card. Other stores may be different. 

But since Synchrony also issues a BR Visa, how would someone looking at the credit report tell if it's the store card (non-Visa) or the branded Visa?

I believe for the network branded cards, Synchrony puts a designation of "DC" on the credit report, to indicate "Dual Card".  I know it's this way on my own Synchrony Sam's Mastercard.  It reports on all of my reports as "Synchrony/Sams Club DC". 

PLCC cards will report similarly, but without the "DC".

Message 22 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Its off my report now because I closed it a long time ago but it did say something like sync/Banana republic. In any event it is clearly a store card and they could tell it is because the store name is in the name of the card. Other stores may be different. 

But since Synchrony also issues a BR Visa, how would someone looking at the credit report tell if it's the store card (non-Visa) or the branded Visa?

I believe for the network branded cards, Synchrony puts a designation of "DC" on the credit report, to indicate "Dual Card".  I know it's this way on my own Synchrony Sam's Mastercard.  It reports on all of my reports as "Synchrony/Sams Club DC". 

PLCC cards will report similarly, but without the "DC".

+1 Mne was just useable at the stores. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

From the threads I have read credit cards are credit cards. People have had success with applying for the co-branded Chase credit cards, but there have been declines for actual Chase credit cards. Best of luck!!!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.