cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true that American Express uses 1 inquiry every 24 hours for applications?

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Is it true that American Express uses 1 inquiry every 24 hours for applications?

I applied for a Gold and Clear card last month at the same time but it shows 2 inquiries on Experian. So is it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it true that American Express uses 1 inquiry every 24 hours for applications?

Did you apply online?  I've heard this for online apps, but not sure if it applies to apps over the phone. 

Also, unsure if it is truly one inquiry for 24 hour period, or if the second application has to be placed before midnight the same day.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Re: Is it true that American Express uses 1 inquiry every 24 hours for applications?

Yeah it was online, having one more inquiry doesn't really do anything so it's okay. How long do you have to wait before companies stop caring about a single inquiry? Isn't it 6 months to a year? 

Message 3 of 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Did you apply the same day or did you apply the next day inside of 24 hours?  If you applied the next day, I guess that clears up the issue of whether it is 24 hours or calendar day.  Calendar day seems to make more sense.

The inquiry is on your report for two years but only factors into FICO scoring for the first year.  I don't know how to answer how long before a company stops caring.  I think it's probably more about total number.  If your total number is modest, I doubt it's a big deal.  But there are some lenders that seem to be more inquiry sensitive than others.  If you're thinking about a new app, you may want to search that lender to be sure.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 6
Amnesia87
Contributor

Did you get approved for the first one?

Which order did you app.

I did gold then blue a few weeks ago, 1 inq

Gold was instant blue was 7-10 days but showed approved a few minutes later on status page.

Also did they pull just EX or all 3?

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Message 5 of 6
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Yeah I think it's just a calendar day not 24 hours. I appled for the Gold and then the Clear after and they only pulled Experian. Around June 15th I will apply for a credit limit increase to $6,000, hopefully it goes through =D

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.