Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it wise to get another CC

tag
Chala
Contributor

Is it wise to get another CC

I only have one credit card, my credit is fair, trying to build my credit is it worth getthing another credit card and which one shoud i select, thanks!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it wise to get another CC

Obtaining 3 credit cards are ideal to maximize fico points.  However, what does your profile look like?  Baddies, collections, scores, etc.  This will help us in steering you in the right direction of what cards to app for.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

Message 3 of 23
Chala
Contributor

Can i request to transfer that over to that part of the forum or should i just start another one there?

Message 4 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No, don't create another thread; simply PM any moderator and they'll move it for you.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chala wrote:

I only have one credit card, my credit is fair, trying to build my credit is it worth getthing another credit card and which one shoud i select, thanks!

I wouldn't waste your inquiries. Apply for one more card. The reason why I am suggesting this is because you'll only qualify for trash cards which is a waste of your inquiry. If you can get a personal loan of $500, pay the creditors immediately $300 and pay off the remaining $200 in the next 6 months. 

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

For more assistance please list your AAOA, inquiries, FICOs/fakos, and anything negative.

You should use your current card exclusively and only use debit card for emergencies.  What is your current card and APR

Message 7 of 23
Chala
Contributor

MCU 11.9%

Message 8 of 23
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Yes we will need to know what your profile looks like to recommend a card. However with fair credit, I would immediately suggest going on the Cap One prequals, see if anything comes up, and if so, app for the Platinum and QS1 minutes within each other. Cap One will grow with you, upgrade you to better rewards, and allow you to combine limits if you so choose
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't have any near to mid-term purchases (Car or mortgage) coming up, you are in no hurry. I would check the Cap One and Chase pre-quals. If you are pre-approved, decide which one or at most two cards you want to apply for and get it! Then use those cards properly, enjoy the cashback and wait patiently for your scores to rise! Once they do, then you can look around for prime cards.
For now though, I think it's a good idea to add 1-2 good cards now if you can, then garden.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.