cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth opening a checking account with Chase/BofA to get the10% annual bonus?

tag
LosAngeles007

Is it worth opening a checking account with Chase/BofA to get the10% annual bonus?

Hi,

I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, and BofA Cash Rewards. I also have three checking accounts: 1 BofA 2 Schwab (Interest bearing) 3 Credit Union

I was wondering if it is worth opening another checking account, this time with Chase, to get the 10% points back at the end of the year. I was also debating on just closing the BofA account (they have horrible customer service).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Is it worth opening a checking account with Chase/BofA to get the10% annual bonus?

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

Hi,

I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, and BofA Cash Rewards. I also have three checking accounts: 1 BofA 2 Schwab (Interest bearing) 3 Credit Union

I was wondering if it is worth opening another checking account, this time with Chase, to get the 10% points back at the end of the year. I was also debating on just closing the BofA account (they have horrible customer service).

Thanks!

I would say it's not if you don't already have one with them. They way I was told is the 10% is on the percentage you earned not totally. So if you got 5% back, it wouldn't now be 15%, it would be 5.5% back. Same with 1%=1.1%. Not really worth it IMHO

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 2 of 22
hyp0luxa
Regular Contributor

Re: Is it worth opening a checking account with Chase/BofA to get the10% annual bonus?

I think it's worth it, for the extra 10%, and the $200 bonus they are running. I'm planning on doing this myself at the end of this month.

Last TL/HP 7/29/2015 | Gardening till December 2015 at least...
AMEX PRG - NPSL | NASA Cash Rewards - 30k | NFCU Cash Rewards VS - 25k | AMEX Everyday - 18k |
Chase CSP 16.8k | BOA 3-2-1 VS - 12k | Fidelity AMEX - 12k | Citi Dividend - 11.3k | Barclays Sallie Mae WMC - 10k | PayPal Extras MC - 7.5k | WalMart MC- 7.5k | Cap1 QS One - 6k | Barclays Apple Visa - 5.7k | Chase Freedom VS - 5k
Message 3 of 22
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

I think it is worth it.  Personally, my local Chase bank has been awesome.  I was using a local regional bank before and while I liked their customer service - I hated their outdated technology (no mobile check deposit, online banking was down a lot, etc.).  I love how Chase not only has mobile check deposit - but I can deposit checks that are too big or cash anytime at their ATMs.

The bonus of 10% on the Freedom (so 5.5% on the bonus categories - which is about all I use the Freedom for) means an extra 3000 miles a year if I max out the bonus categories, which isn't life changing, but is still better than the paultry interest I was getting on my old bank account.  I also recently upgraded my checking account to premier - which gives me free checks and a safety deposit box for free, something my previous bank didn't do no matter how much money I had in their account.

Also, I got $150 for opening my account (which was the best I could find at the time without having to pay for an offer off eBay) but you can buy offers up to $300 for opening an account from people on eBay who get them mailed to them.  I plan on opening a savings account as well once I can get a good enough offer.

Message 4 of 22
bk510
Valued Contributor

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Why?  you think Chase has any better customer service?

NOTTTTTTT........

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 5 of 22
JGuz

I highly recommend it! I love chase and the customer service has been excellent for me ( I also have BoA and no complaints there). 

With the sign up bonus theres really no reason not to!

Message 6 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

As a new customer...not really worth it if you're not getting10-10 program which is no longer offered.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bk510 wrote:

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

NOTTTTTTT........

That hasn't been my experience, Chase is going to have to do something horrendously stupid to chase me away.  Granted I keep non-trivial (comparitively) deposits there and am a profitable customer, but I was even more so for BOFA over my near 2 decade experience with them.

        
Message 8 of 22
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@bk510 wrote:

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

NOTTTTTTT........

That hasn't been my experience, Chase is going to have to do something horrendously stupid to chase me away.  Granted I keep non-trivial (comparitively) deposits there and am a profitable customer, but I was even more so for BOFA over my near 2 decade experience with them.

Pun intended? As a side note there are bonuses of $125-$250 for new checking accounts with DD. May be worth it when you factor in both. 

Message 9 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

I was wondering if it is worth opening another checking account, this time with Chase, to get the 10% points back at the end of the year.

Subjective matter just as worth is with any topic..  It's not worth it to me since the fees would far exceed the 10% and I have no need for a Chase checking account.  However, that means nothing with regard to whether it's worth it to you or not.  Do the math based on your spend to determine what 10% means for you in dollars and use your situation, priorities and preference to make your own decision versus polling other people.  If you can avoid the monthly fee for checking that would probably help to make it worth it to you.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.