Is my friend illogical?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is my friend illogical?

@megaman1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:

I'm not sure about his income, but he currently has 20,000 CL total between his 4 cards. Thing is he only reports .5% utilization because he only uses $100 per month of his credit LOL. I have no idea why, but do you think the CCC will CLD? lol

So he uses only a small amount, i.e. the $100 that reports is the only usage?   I ask because I am similar, or rather worse, from a reporting standpoint (about $200 report on ~ $300K limit) but I use much more.    But either way, I wouldn't expect an issue.

Yeah, isn't it crazy that he only uses and reports $100?! I think so.

Nah, it's not crazy... it's all about perception.  I kinda do the same thing at times, similarly to what longtimelurker mentioned.

Message 11 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Presumably he is missing out on rewards by not using reward credit cards but if his spending isn't big it's really not a whole lot of money and so I wouldn't say crazy.  Maybe credit cards in general just aren't that important to him.  (Hard to believe but there are some!)

Message 12 of 14
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like your friend is being perfectly reasonable.

My guess is that he knows about credit scoring, wants to report a 1% util, but actually has no desire in using the credit cards directly. Perhaps he's maximize his score for a future home or auto purchase?

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 13 of 14
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Tell your friend keep it up, after 3 years I would bet his score is over 750,  after 5 years over 800, and after 7 years 850.

Bank love to give people credit that don't appear to need credit.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.