Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is now a good time to apply for a CC?

tag
creditdemon
New Contributor

Is now a good time to apply for a CC?

Hi all,

I am trying to boost my credit score.  I haven't opened any new accounts in a really long time.  At the moment my oldest acct is 10 yrs old and avg acct age is 6 yrs.  From everything Ive read it sounds like applying for a credit card and using a small amnt each month is a good idea.   So I figure I will apply for one and use it to pay for my train tickets to work only and pay that off each month.   However, I am considering getting an auto loan next month - will applying for a credit card now hurt my score at all?  I assume I will need maybe 6 months of on time payments to get the benefits of having the card...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Is now a good time to apply for a CC?

A lot depends on where your credit profile is right now, besides having a few "accounts" for a few years you don't include much in your OP. List out your profile and we can all make recommendations, otherwise getting a card now *could* actually make your score go down.

Message 2 of 5
navistar
Regular Contributor

whats your score and report like?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 3 of 5
creditdemon
New Contributor

Oh sorry, thank you for your help!  Not sure of what to include but...

EX 695 / EQ 741 / TU 672  - but TU should go up next month when a collection item is scheduled to fall off...

I have a collection item for a cell phone &759 that is counted as a revolving open account for some reason.   This is my only account with a balance. 

Installment loans $0

I have a Care Credit card with a 1k limit

A revolving joint credit account for 3.8k with a 0 balance

No inquiries atm...

Does this help? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
navistar
Regular Contributor

let that collection item fall off and try to clear that verizon collection before apping for cards (this is my personal opinion). you will get better limits and apr's without them.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.